"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #21
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Tacos here. Not very adventurous, I know, but I did splurge and get grass fed ground beef for them.
__________________

__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Tacos here. Not very adventurous, I know, but I did splurge and get grass fed ground beef for them.


sounds good to me, sd. just wondering, is grass-fed preferable to grain-fed beef cattle?
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #23
Senior Cook
 
snickerdoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quad Cities, Midwest
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
sounds good to me, sd. just wondering, is grass-fed preferable to grain-fed beef cattle?
I don't remember the specifics but generally speaking, beef of the grass fed variety is more nutritionally dense. It contains omega 3's and is very lean. Flavor-wise, in something like tacos I can't discern a notable difference. In burgers though it tastes, well, beefier, maybe earthier, if that makes any sense. Oh man does it make good burgers!
__________________
snickerdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I don't remember the specifics but generally speaking, beef of the grass fed variety is more nutritionally dense. It contains omega 3's and is very lean. Flavor-wise, in something like tacos I can't discern a notable difference. In burgers though it tastes, well, beefier, maybe earthier, if that makes any sense. Oh man does it make good burgers!

thanks, sd. i'll be looking for the grass-fed type ground beef next time out.
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Forbidden Rib-Eye Steak
Simple Lettuce Salad w/fat free French Dressing
Jasmine Rice
Attachment 12412
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1
Forbidden Rib-Eye Steak
Simple Lettuce Salad w/fat free French Dressing
Jasmine Rice
Looks good, Patty! What makes the ribeye forbidden?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Looks good, Patty! What makes the ribeye forbidden?

All of the fat. It is not on the lean protein list.
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #28
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Pan-fried smoked ham steak, potatoes, mushrooms and onions fried in the ham steak drippings with a bit of oil, micro steamed fresh carrots and frozen peas (these carrots were MONSTER sized!).

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet
Pan-fried smoked ham steak, potatoes, mushrooms and onions fried in the ham steak drippings with a bit of oil, micro steamed fresh carrots and frozen peas (these carrots were MONSTER sized!).
Nice, MM! Those carrots ARE huge!

Vegetarian spaghetti with ww pasta for us.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #30
Master Chef
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Nice, MM! Those carrots ARE huge!

Vegetarian spaghetti with ww pasta for us.
Thank you DL.
__________________

__________________
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.