Tuesday 2/21/2017 - King Harald's Birthday Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Thinking chicken maybe fried or possibly smoked. Potatoes fried or mashed. Veggie may be corn.

Pizza Factory is donating 30% of all sales today to our local youth baseball league, so I'll be ordering chicken wings and a salad for tonight's dinner.

Salud to King Harold V. sort of caught unprepared for a celebration today. I guess we could have Girl Scout thin mint cookies and milk, since that was lunch.

Dinner is taco style salad with grilled sliced chix, mixed greens, green and black olives, serrano chilies, cukes, grape tomatoes, avocado, cheese, tossed with Herdez medium salsa and a spoonful sour cream. No beans no tortillas no chips.

I probably should do Torsk but I have leftover beef and veggie stir-fry from last night, so I am re-winding that for tonight's dinner.

I'm going to the Master Gardeners monthly meeting tonight. I'm assigned to make a vegetable dish (the organizer assigns different courses to a range alphabetically) so I decided to make roasted carrots with onions, za'atar and a little extra sumac, olive oil and honey. I'll sprinkle it all with dried cherries and feta just before I leave.

We're going old-school tonight: fried bologna sandwiches. :yum: We have both white and rye breads, both homemade by me. *pats self on back* I like mine on rye, with tomato, lettuce, and a generous slather of Plochman's mustard. Himself will make his mind up just as they're being made.

Sides will be a small bowl of yesterday's soup, and maybe a quick salad.

...I've got a small batch of bolognese going in the multi-cooker...For those of you who don't know King Harald V:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harald_V_of_Norway
Hmm, that hardly sounds like a Norwegian meal...

Had the remnants of the rotisserie chicken I cooked on Sunday so I made a light bechamel-like sauce using what little drippings were left and some chicken stock. Added some sauteed celery and onions, the chopped chicken and stirred in a bit of cream and white wine, along with a healthy dose of thyme. Salt as necessary and a handful or so of cooked egg noodles. Stirred the whole concoction together and we ate like piggies. Finished off the remains of the steamed asparagus as our green side.

Turned out pretty good and it more than filled the hole.

Hauoli la hanau Harold!

rigs and meatballs.jpg

I are having early supper. We were running around all day, never got any lunch and we're starving! (dang this trying to put together a new home business, I'm kinda over this for now---BREAK PLEASE!)
So it's rigs and meatballs that I found in the deep freeze, topped with TJ's Marinara and TJ's half baked idea ciabatta.
So very grateful to have my freezer chest back and filled with quick, easy and nutritious food.

I brought home some tenderloin scraps from work. Had that with fettuccine, Gorgonzola, and some veggies with pickled eggplant and vinaigrette...
qnEFxNY.jpg

Last edited:
I hope the king likes nachos, because that's what I settled on for dinner. I had some leftover ribeye steak, and all the other stuff needed, and it was quick and easy.

CD

We didn't get a picture because we were just too hungry after smelling it cooking for so long and forgot.

The lasagna was made sort of like an old Macaroni Grill dish. Theirs had 2 layers each of the following but I just did 1 layer each because A) we don't have a really deep lasagna pan, except a HUGE one, and B) we made two 9x9 dishes and froze one. I used about a pound each of the loose meats.

There was a layer of provolone and pepperoni slices, another layer of Italian sausage (squeezed out of casings and cooked) plus mozzarella, a layer of seasoned ricotta (my idea/addition), and a layer of ground beef cooked with onion, garlic, basil, and a bit of the tomato sauce plus parm and moz, topped with a layer of lasagna noodles plus some sauce and parm. You use minimal sauce on each layer (none on the g. beef layer) and then serve with extra sauce.

I always make a good bit of sauce so there will be extra for when it's served.

I use the Barilla no-bake noodles, but I pre-soak them in some just boiled water for a few minutes before I use them (enough for a layer at a time), plus I usually sprinkle a little water on them once they are in the pan.

This works out great for us because I don't like a lot of sauce, but Craig does, with the added benefit that it cuts and serves beautifully (especially if you make all 9 layers in 1 pan) because there is a minimal amount of T. sauce. This is another of his favorite dishes. He made a little :pig: out of himself last night. LOL! I would have liked to have had more too, but couldn't fit anymore in the tummy.

For dessert, we had a pound cake made with the leftover ricotta. I'm making that again, it was delicious and probably 1 of the best poundcakes I've ever had. Classic Ricotta Pound Cake » Call Me PMc I used almond extract since we were having a glass of amaretto with it.

Back
Top Bottom