Tuesday, 4-2-19, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same here. I like golden raisins or dried cranberries much better.

I've never liked raisins except in Picadillo. I like real dried currants as a sub in other dishes that call for raisins.

Last Night's Burger Steak, change of plan on the Fries - went with Onion Rings, Cut Green Beans, and a new (for me) BBQ Sauce.....

Hamburger Steak.jpg

Black bean and mushroom meatballs simmered in a jar of premade sauce. Served over fettuccine noodles.
Those black bean and mushroom meatballs sound and look delicious! I’m assuming they’re vegan/vegetarian? I don’t really care, except that I’ve never really liked beef meatballs. Do you have a recipe or a link to one?

My master gardener group had the students' graduation potluck last night. I knew lots of people would be bringing creamy sides and salads, so I decided to make K'girl's Namasu - lightly pickled sliced vegetables. I used an English cucumber, a large carrot, a yellow squash and a parsnip. And I used her gorgeous technique of cutting the veggies to look like flowers. The master gardeners loved it. Thanks for the inspiration, K'girl [emoji813]

Here's her recipe: https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/couldnt-be-easier-namasu/

I also made Chef John's mini tarts with puff pastry and sweetened cream cheese with lemon juice and Penzeys Pie Spice. 0402191742.jpg0402191743.jpg

Last edited:
Those black bean and mushroom meatballs sound and look delicious! I’m assuming they’re vegan/vegetarian? I don’t really care, except that I’ve never really liked beef meatballs. Do you have a recipe or a link to one?

I used this as a guide https://www.foodbymaria.com/2018/06/26/bbq-black-bean-meat-balls/

To this I added two big mushrooms. For the oatmeal I just used plain ol quick cooking oats. I seasoned with soy sauce, oregano, thyme and for hot sauce I used some red salsa. Since the black beans had salt I did not add any.

Browned them then dumped in a jar of sauce.

I plan to work on the recipe just a little more then I will do a blog post.

I used this as a guide https://www.foodbymaria.com/2018/06/26/bbq-black-bean-meat-balls/

To this I added two big mushrooms. For the oatmeal I just used plain ol quick cooking oats. I seasoned with soy sauce, oregano, thyme and for hot sauce I used some red salsa. Since the black beans had salt I did not add any.

Browned them then dumped in a jar of sauce.

I plan to work on the recipe just a little more then I will do a blog post.
Thanks for the link! Looks greeat!

My master gardener group had the students' graduation potluck last night. I knew lots of people would be bringing creamy sides and salads, so I decided to make K'girl's Namasu - lightly pickled sliced vegetables. I used an English cucumber, a large carrot, a yellow squash and a parsnip. And I used her gorgeous technique of cutting the veggies to look like flowers. The master gardeners loved it. Thanks for the inspiration, K'girl [emoji813]

Here's her recipe: https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/couldnt-be-easier-namasu/

I also made Chef John's mini tarts with puff pastry and sweetened cream cheese with lemon juice and Penzeys Pie Spice. View attachment 34276View attachment 34277
Bump! K'girl, I haven't seen you in a few days and I wanted to make sure you saw this! I got lots of compliments! Thanks again! [emoji16]

No. There's a parsnip in there that I did peel.
Thank you. I was thinking of doing that salad also. I may use yellow squash and zucchini because no one here likes parsnip or radish.
Wasn't sure if we need to peel the squashes.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was thinking of doing that salad also. I may use yellow squash and zucchini because no one here likes parsnip or radish.
Wasn't sure if we need to peel the squashes.
No, don't peel them. Not peeling leaves a contrast between the "petals" and the centers, so they look more like flowers. I couldn't find daikon radish, so in addition to the carrot, I used an English cucumber, a parsnip, and a yellow squash.

I also made Chef John's mini tarts with puff pastry and sweetened cream cheese with lemon juice and Penzeys Pie Spice. View attachment 34276View attachment 34277

Bump! K'girl, I haven't seen you in a few days and I wanted to make sure you saw this! I got lots of compliments! Thanks again! [emoji16]

I just now saw this post GG, MAHALO (thanks)!

I got a 'notice' from my blog that on that day my numbers
had real jumped and I wasn't really sure why... now I do :)

There's actual cutters to make the veg look like flowers, etc.
but I have yet to find them. The come from Japan and we
don't have those types of markets here in COWBOYVILLE …
so the next time we go back to Hawaii, I'll surely look again
for those!

Namasu is one of my favorite salads and it can be made with
al sorts of veggies, as you did.
It goes so well with fatty meats, like BBQ Pork :yum:

OKAY!
Now I've got to make a batch myself :LOL:

I just now saw this post GG, MAHALO (thanks)!

I got a 'notice' from my blog that on that day my numbers
had real jumped and I wasn't really sure why... now I do [emoji2]

There's actual cutters to make the veg look like flowers, etc.
but I have yet to find them. The come from Japan and we
don't have those types of markets here in COWBOYVILLE …
so the next time we go back to Hawaii, I'll surely look again
for those!

Namasu is one of my favorite salads and it can be made with
al sorts of veggies, as you did.
It goes so well with fatty meats, like BBQ Pork :yum:

OKAY!
Now I've got to make a batch myself [emoji38]
So glad you saw this, K'girl, and thanks again! [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom