Tuesday, 5th February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whoo! Someone other than Kylie got to start the dinner thread. Gotta get up pretty early for that. Radhuni, how lovely to see you! How's your lovely little girl doing?

Dinner here is a bit undecided. Folks are not sure if they are working or not so I'm going to plan a grab and go dinner. I have some lovely beef and barley soup left for people to heat up, and I'm going to make a chicken stir fry with some chow mein noodles for those who don't want soup. That SHOULD cover all the bases. I hit all the food groups and folks can eat when they need to. I'm in a baking mood still so I'll be flipping through my books to see what inspires me.

Our dinner turned out lovely! The spareribs are sticky and tender, the spinach (morogo) is my best yet and the pap (white polenta) is perfect. I'm so chuffed :)

Snip, when you say pap, do you make it into a firm log or other shape, or do you make it mushy? Pap, in my experience, is like a porridge consistency.

I love the internationalism of this forum! Things are lovely, people are chuffed, and chippies are good things (here, it means prostitute) ;)

I'm heading out to the store to pick up a few things I need to make pork chile verde. I have the pork shoulder and thawed some tomatillos from last summer's garden, but I need a few poblano peppers and some cilantro. Not sure yet how I'll put it together; I have some bell peppers, so I may cook those up separately and put it all into tortillas. I have some pickled red onions in the fridge, too, for topping.

Chippie means prostitute in Virgina?
I'm one state away and never heard that term :huh:
The things you learn here...

I picked up some fast fry pork chops on my Sunday trip to the butcher. He always saves the remnants from cutting roasts to sell cheap. Often I use them for stir fry or sweet and sour, but I think I am going to double them and stuff with goat cheese, spinach and roasted garlic. I will add a garden salad and brown rice to round out the meal!

Not sure what it will be here. I had originally planned for chicken nuggets but that is out the window now. DH will be working late, the yungun has band rehearsal early, I'm spending the afternoon visiting reception sites with my oldest. I took some shredded beef out of the freezer yesterday. I'll see if there's enough to make burritos. That way we can each make our own whenever we have time to eat. If there's not enough for that, I may sub chicken for the beef.

Snip, when you say pap, do you make it into a firm log or other shape, or do you make it mushy? Pap, in my experience, is like a porridge consistency.

We call maize meal pap. If we eat it for breakfast we make it soft like a porridge but as a savoury dish it is cooked to a firmer consistency like this.......

Hope this helps :)

Tonight we're having Chicken Balti. For those who don't know (and I didn't know until I visited there), Balti is a style of curry that originated in Birmingham, UK. The name comes from the Hindi word for "bucket", and refers to the double-handled wok-type pan the dish is both cooked and served in.

We call maize meal pap. If we eat it for breakfast we make it soft like a porridge but as a savoury dish it is cooked to a firmer consistency like this.......

Hope this helps :)
That sounds a lot like our grits (corn porridge) and polenta. Do you know if pap is made from hominy (lye-treated white corn) or yellow corn? It looks white in the picture.

That sounds a lot like our grits (corn porridge) and polenta. Do you know if pap is made from hominy (lye-treated white corn) or yellow corn? It looks white in the picture.

It is made from white corn (we call it maize or mealies), not from sweetcorn. The texture is the same as polenta. I think white polenta is almost exactly the same. I've had polenta and it's very close.

Grits I believe has a coarser texture. We do have a coarse maize meal that we call "braai pap". We make this as a side dish for Bbq's. We cook it to a more crumbly texture like this.....

Hope I've explained well enough.
At the end of the day, white polenta, grits and pap are all pretty much the same thing.

Do you put anything on that, Snips? Gravy, sauce, butter, something...?

Do you put anything on that, Snips? Gravy, sauce, butter, something...?

We eat it with many things. Usually stew or relish,morogo or chakalaka.

Chakalaka is a relish made with tomato, onion, carrots and peppers and it's spicy ( the recipe is on my chakalaka eggs thread)

Morogo is african wild spinach that we cook with onion, tomato and stock. Relish is a sauce made from tomatoes, onions and spices including chillies.

Sometimes we have it with butter, milk and sugar for breakfast.

Wild spinach is not always available so we make morogo with swiss chard or beetroot leaves too :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom