Tuesday 7/11/2017 What's to eat today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots and lots of pretty dinners tonight! I like your choice of protein, Steve. ;)

Himself was going to grill pork chops, but we had rain. Lots of rain. Granted it was earlier in the day, but I cooked inside so that the mosquitoes didn't carry him away! First, of course, we started with supper. It was a riff on Greek Salad, but I included romaine lettuce. Dinner plate had the pork chops, lightly seasoned with S&P, garlic powder, and smoked paprika, seared in a bit of lard, and finished off in the oven. I also made a tube of Grands biscuits at the same time. Veggie was zucchini sauteed with OO and thyme, topped with toasted walnuts when served. I'm just having dessert now...a bit of Campari on ice, with a wedge of lime. :yum:

Attachments

• 20170711_205031.jpg
    20170711_205031.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20170711_214448.jpg
    20170711_214448.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I seem to have accumulated a lot of home-grown tomatoes, so I'm making good old BLABTs tonight (add avocado and basil) and pasta salad. I have some extra gemelli that I cooked a couple days ago.
Mmmm, BLTs with garden tomatoes and basil. I forgot to add the avocado, dang it. Pasta salad was good, too.
0711172039a_HDR.jpg

BLT salad with pita chips and mixed fruit. Have to say that I LOVE the microwave bacon during this time of the year (ducking to hide from the inevitable rolling pins going my way).

BLT salad with pita chips and mixed fruit. Have to say that I LOVE the microwave bacon during this time of the year (ducking to hide from the inevitable rolling pins going my way).
I think it's a great way to make bacon, once in a while. I find that if I cook bacon that way several days in a row, I start to notice a difference in the flavour or texture which isn't as good as fried bacon. I won't be throwing any rolling pins at you.

I haven't tried it yet but a George Foreman grill is supposed to be good to cook bacon on and get real crisp. I love my foreman :)

I know you're not a kale lover, but I really think you need to give the cabbage/kale au gratin thing a try. With all the cheese, butter, and eggs, you can't even taste that nasty kale. :chef:

I don't like the flavor of mature tough kale. BUT baby kale is wonderful. I picked up a bag of "juicing" greens which is baby kale/baby spinach and sautéed them in burger drippings with seasoning and they were great. Fast forward several days and sautéed some more in pan fried smoked ham drippings was fantastic!! I am now a BABY kale convert.

Last edited:
I know you're not a kale lover, but I really think you need to give the cabbage/kale au gratin thing a try. With all the cheese, butter, and eggs, you can't even taste that nasty kale. :chef:
It's not the flavor, Steve, it's the texture. We've even had baby kale both raw and cooked. It's the texture. I don't know if you're old enough (or even if they did this in MN) to remember the plastic ruffles of fake grass that some grocery stores would use to separate different cuts of meat. Or maybe to edge the salad bar at a restaurant. THAT is the kind of texture we don't like - and what kale reminds us of. I even tried the olive oil massage, but it wouldn't relax. I needed a massage after that! :LOL:

Heck, I even tossed some in to a pot of soup. Still not feelin' the love...

Cabbage and cheese sounds fine. As a carb eater, I might even toss in potato slices. But can I try that recipe with Swiss chard? Or collard greens? Or spinach? Or...

I think it's a great way to make bacon, once in a while. I find that if I cook bacon that way several days in a row, I start to notice a difference in the flavour or texture which isn't as good as fried bacon. I won't be throwing any rolling pins at you.

So glad I won't get a rolling pin thrown at me today - I'm way too tired to duck.

Back
Top Bottom