Tuesday, 7-25-17, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I don't usually buy pork tenderloins, because most of them come with added "stuff."

The label from a package of Hormel pork tenderloin says it includes: Pork, Pork Broth, Contains 2% or less of Soybean Oil, Cultured Dextrose, Dried Vinegar, Seasoning (Yeast Extract, Citrus Extract), Seasoning (Potato Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor, Salt), Salt, Cornstarch, Flavoring.

I'd rather just have my meat without all the additives...
Casey and Steve, see if you have this brand of pork tenderloin in your necks of the woods. I get it from the little, stand-alone grocery store in the next town. No additives, no fillers, nothing. I can get it at a good price, too - always under $3 a pound, which is a deal in my area.

Attachments

• 20170727_025809.jpg
    20170727_025809.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 150
Casey and Steve, see if you have this brand of pork tenderloin in your necks of the woods. I get it from the little, stand-alone grocery store in the next town. No additives, no fillers, nothing. I can get it at a good price, too - always under $3 a pound, which is a deal in my area.

I wish I could, however I'm right smack dab in the middle of Hormel country so, other than ham, that's about the only commercial variety you see in the grocery stores here.

I don't eat a lot of pork. Most of what I get is from the country market in town, which sells locally raised meat. I also like it because they tend to use younger pigs. As Casey pointed out, the cuts are a little smaller. Unfortunately, they rarely have tenderloin. I'm told it sells as quickly as it hits the display case (most people are still on that whole lean-meat-is-better kick).

I wish I could, however I'm right smack dab in the middle of Hormel country so, other than ham, that's about the only commercial variety you see in the grocery stores here.

I don't eat a lot of pork. Most of what I get is from the country market in town, which sells locally raised meat. I also like it because they tend to use younger pigs. As Casey pointed out, the cuts are a little smaller. Unfortunately, they rarely have tenderloin. I'm told it sells as quickly as it hits the display case (most people are still on that whole lean-meat-is-better kick).

Unfortunately most lean meat is tough and tasteless.

Unfortunately most lean meat is tough and tasteless.

very true in a lot of cases, but certainly not with "tenderloins"! Whether pork, beef or even chicken - those tenderloins are super tender.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand recipes that 'slow cook' or 'braise', 'stew' a tenderloin. One of the reasons you pay more for them is that they are so tender and cook so quickly! You read these recipes and the submitters always say how fork tender they are after cooking for 3,4,5,6 hours... well, duh - they still would have been tender after less than 20 minutes! (depending on size)

hmmm, gosh, golly, gee whiz - do you think they are called 'tenderloins' for that very reason?

And yes, I do agree some of them, IF they are not seasoned right, can be tasteless. Even just salt & pepper can do wonders!

LOW walleye, zucchini-radish-cucumber slaw (from the garden) with a French Tarragon mint dressing, and cauliflower "rice."

LOWnot understanding, acronym for??

French Tarragon mint dressing, recipe please? pretty please?

"zucchini-radish-cucumber slaw" - Wow, nice combo!

Oh my goodness. I was hoping no one would ask. :LOL:

Cheryl, I have to admit I don't really have a recipe, so much as a "technique." I'm sorry, but this is about as vague as it gets....

Basically I start with buying a variety of sweet peppers at the farmers market. I don't know what the actual variety is, or if they even have a name. The peppers I look for are about the size of jalapenos, although with nowhere near the heat. They are usually labelled "sweet peppers" and come in yellow, red, and orange varieties.

First, I halve, seed, and roast the peppers on the grill. Then rough chop them, add minced garlic and onion to taste and enough water to cover. Then just cook the whole thing down until it's quite thick and puree most of it in the food processor. I try to reserve a little and just sort of pulse that in the processor so it has some texture.

At this point I add vinegar until the pH meter reads between 3.5 and 4.0 and pop it back on the stove to heat it up again. Sometimes I have to add a little sweetener to balance it, but not a lot. The peppers are normally sweet enough on their own.

Then I salt to taste and pack it in sanitized bail top bottles. This sauce easily keeps in the fridge for up to a year. I've used some that is older and it's been fine. The vinegar preserves it nicely.

Some people will say this is a "hot sauce" recipe but there is nothing hot about it. I call it barbecue sauce. It's vinegary and sweet and salty, and it goes great with pork.

Sorry, I don't have anything more specific than that. I'm the first to admit it comes out just a little different every year because I make it from whatever is available at the time.

:LOL: Thank you so much Steve, for taking the time to respond! :) This sounds so good. The more I read here, the more I think I need to go ahead and replace my FP that died several years ago. It could really come in handy, especially for recipes like this that last so long in the fridge. (cooking for one here, too....)

I haven't seen the jalapeno sized 'sweet' peppers here, or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. I'll check with our local farm stand guy when he's here again next Tuesday.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

:doh: and to think I lived in Minn. I still remember the Lake of the Woods butter my mom used to get. :LOL: Don't think the packaging has changed all that much, think I saw it on one of my forays into 'America'.

Back
Top Bottom