Tuesday, May 31, what's cooking at your house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We are having some of the foie gras that was part of my birthday present. Two preps, both seared. One will be on brioche toast with a port and balsamic reduction. The other will be on a fesh corn cake with a raw corn sauce topped with a dollup of citrus marmelade put thru a strainer.

My loaf of brioche is GORGEOUS and the cinnamon rolls with the rest of the dough look pretty darn good too.

The rest of the foie is soaking in milk and will be made into torchon over the next couple of days.

Oven roasted shrimp drizzled with garlic/lemon butter, marinated cold asparagus, and a fruit salad.

Just getting ready to start a quick supper - a North African chicken dish we've enjoyed (recipe from a Penzeys catalog), sauteed lemon-butter broccolini, all started off with a spinach salad (bacon, egg, black olives, tomato). We'll finish up the leftover cherry clatoutis for dessert.

We are having some of the foie gras that was part of my birthday present. Two preps, both seared. One will be on brioche toast with a port and balsamic reduction. The other will be on a fesh corn cake with a raw corn sauce topped with a dollup of citrus marmelade put thru a strainer.

My loaf of brioche is GORGEOUS and the cinnamon rolls with the rest of the dough look pretty darn good too.

The rest of the foie is soaking in milk and will be made into torchon over the next couple of days.

Med, I must say that you often inspire me to learn more, and this is no exception. I've had foie gras once in a restaurant but would never think to do something as exotic as Torchon myself so I just had to learn more.
This may also be useful to others...The Food Lab: How To Make a Foie Gras Torchon (Secret Technique Inside!) | Serious Eats

We had a nice lunch out so we'll likely just snack tonight.

Last edited:
Slow cooker venison roast, wild asparagus.

img_1468247_0_c61183feff8d8dc86ad794c1db236e98.jpg

Joey's dinner looks good enough to eat and then some.

KL, I was originally going to just try to make a half recipe, so there wouldn't be so many leftovers, but then I thought it was a little too humid to do math, so I made a whole recipe. Grated cabbage until my arm got sore, then I grated some more. I would eat a third helping except that would be impolite.

I bought a package of very thin 6 inch tortillas the other day, I think I will try some crack cabbage tacos tomorrow.

56875-albums1045-picture6550.jpg

[file photo from our old house]

Tomato Pie in our short term rental,
thankfully I brought along one of my half as well as 1/4 sheet pans,
even though DH said, "oh you won't need ANY of your kitchen tools,
it's a vacation rental, they should have all of that stuff"
YEAH RIGHT! :rolleyes:

...DH said, "oh you won't need ANY of your kitchen tools,
it's a vacation rental, they should have all of that stuff"
YEAH RIGHT! :rolleyes:
I see that as an open invitation to buy whatever you need/want for your kitchen. :LOL: Just sayin'...

Most every time I've cooked broccolini, the stems are al dente, so to speak. Except for the one time I cut them off and cooked the bottoms until just starting to get tender, and then added the crowns. Is there a secret to cooking the stalks whole? Or should I use the method that worked for me? Cooking in two parts made them equally tender all over. But they look so much nicer as long stalks.

Attachments

• 2016-05-31 21.27.16.jpg
    2016-05-31 21.27.16.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 159
I see that as an open invitation to buy whatever you need/want for your kitchen. :LOL: Just sayin'...

Most every time I've cooked broccolini, the stems are al dente, so to speak. Except for the one time I cut them off and cooked the bottoms until just starting to get tender, and then added the crowns. Is there a secret to cooking the stalks whole? Or should I use the method that worked for me? Cooking in two parts made them equally tender all over. But they look so much nicer as long stalks.

003.JPG

I LOVE roasted Broccolini whole with some Olive Oil, S&P and granulated Garlic.
I cook them until the stems are tender to our liking and most times that
makes the crowns a bit toasty.

Wow, fantastic looking dinners tonight, all! :yum:

kgirl, I do roasted broccolini as you do - I love the little caramelized bits on the florets. :)

I've made this before. We like the rusty chicken because it's a fairly mild marinade. You are eating marinated chicken, as opposed to an overpowering marinade with chicken inside.

Back
Top Bottom