"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Yes we have had a turducken for the last couple years at Thanksgiving. It is good and more interesting if you can select your own stuffings. For $20 I'd buy as many as my freezer would hold. Be sure to follow the directions for roasting. Carve with an electric knife as a carving knife will squish the turducken. You can detect the different meats if you taste carefully but mostly who cares? The duck stuffing might be slightly greasy if the duck was very fatty. You are not apt to detect the chicken as it is a small amt in so large a "bird". We have had 20# ones for 20 to 25people with leftovers. They were selling fresh for $5.00/lb in San Diego. There was plenty of stuffing with all the other foodstuffs. Made very good gravy too. It does need to rest for an hour after removing from the oven; the temp will go up 10° to 15° more.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My husband and brother were interested in buying one for thanksgiving this year. Problem was that they don't really make them around here (CA) so they'd have to have one shipped from Louisiana. I didn't want one to begin with.

I've heard that they don't taste great. In fact, someone wrote an article on turduckens around thanksgiving and taste tested a couple of brands. They said all were not very good - I don't remember who wrote the article.

Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #13
Master Chef

You're right Sararwelch - there have been a number of articles published about them. I recall one that was either in the New York Times or The Washington Post that said exactly what you said - that for what they cost &/or the effort it takes to make one at home, the taste doesn't even come close to what's been spent.

I remember the article calling them nothing but a "flash-in-the-pan extravagance" not worth the effort or expense.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Sara I just looked at your blog to see that you are in SF Bay area and I know there is a Whole Food Store there that does sell them. There are lots of upscale meat mks and gourmet groceries that make and sell them. We all enjoyed the turducken and it was good; however, if you expect it to taste like roast turkey then do not consider one. I am sure we will have it again next year.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #15
Master Chef

Oh Swann - don't take my comment in an offensive way. I was just quoting what the article said. I've never had Turducken, so for all I know I might love it! : )
Old 12-28-2006, 08:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

You can get turduken in Ca, I just walked by a counter full of them about 2 hours ago...Since I refuse to eat duck, I didn't even stop to look at them, my DH did, but I kept walking
kadesma