Turducken Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
i went to some of the other posts about turduckens and found
mixed reviews.

i am not looking for a recipe but your thoughts if you have
ever tasted one. i was at the store the other day and
there they were on sale pre-made and frozen, for only
$20.00. i have always wanted to try one so i bought one.

the package states 15 lbs i would think that they would
have to have started with a pretty small turkey for all of it
to only be 15lbs??

i want serve it for diner and i am afraid it might be way to much
food??

is a turducken good? they sound good does the duck and the chicken
make it to greasy?

The only person that I know who has eaten a turducken (and they are an internet 'friend') said that all the meat tasted the same and he was very disappointed. He ordered it from one of the well repected, if not the best, stores that were researched on the internet.

Sharon, Jean, June, Loprraine....etc. Does anyone remember who that was?

For $20, I would have bought a few, too. I've only seen them advertised for like $60 -$80

Yes, is it a whole one--or just a breast or "part". I've never seen them at that price.

Ewww, it could be processed pressed turkey, duck and chicken meat that was wrapped around each other.

I've never tasted one. I've truly never had the desire. Doesn't sound good to me. Maybe it's due to the oiliness of duck. Now having said that, I never had the desire to go to the UK, or Italy and both proved me dead wrong when I went. So maybe I'd like the turducken too.:ermm:

I have seen EL do his on tv. Also watching that show > ''Dinner Takes All'' {anyone else watch that show?} one of the guys on there did one. He seemed disappointed due to the amount he tossed from everyone's plate in the trash, if anyone saw that show, you know what I'm talking about.

Now I'm interested in the results. Where was it on sale? I see where you hale from but was it a typical supermarket?
Do let us know if you make it. We'd like to hear the results.:mellow:

I know someone who buys a "turducken" every year for Xmas - bragging mostly about how much she pays for it rather than what it actually tastes like. I'd be more impressed if she made one herself.

I've not only never had one, but frankly have no desire to - either store-bought or homemade. I adore turkey, duck, & chicken - but on their own individual terms, not all smushed together - lol!!!

Have always wanted to try a turducken using Paul Prudhomme's recipe.

But it is so much work, and I rarely have the time to do it at T-day.

The three different stuffings seem really good.

Was going to buy one this year ($20 does not seem like it could be too good considering the prices I have seen on the web, but would probably give it a go. How bad can it be for a 15 pound bird?) but we had very little time for any dinner preparation and went with a store bought smoked one. Work pressure was really a problem this time around, and most of the time.

Maybe will make one for Easter. There is always hope.

Tried it a couple of times....I was not impressed.
I agree with Breezy also...They are all good ...stand alone!
Kinda like mixing Scotch/burbon/Irsih wiskeys...All good by themselves..
Why ruin a good thing??:LOL:

Yes we have had a turducken for the last couple years at Thanksgiving. It is good and more interesting if you can select your own stuffings. For $20 I'd buy as many as my freezer would hold. Be sure to follow the directions for roasting. Carve with an electric knife as a carving knife will squish the turducken. You can detect the different meats if you taste carefully but mostly who cares? The duck stuffing might be slightly greasy if the duck was very fatty. You are not apt to detect the chicken as it is a small amt in so large a "bird". We have had 20# ones for 20 to 25people with leftovers. They were selling fresh for $5.00/lb in San Diego. There was plenty of stuffing with all the other foodstuffs. Made very good gravy too. It does need to rest for an hour after removing from the oven; the temp will go up 10° to 15° more.

My husband and brother were interested in buying one for thanksgiving this year. Problem was that they don't really make them around here (CA) so they'd have to have one shipped from Louisiana. I didn't want one to begin with.

I've heard that they don't taste great. In fact, someone wrote an article on turduckens around thanksgiving and taste tested a couple of brands. They said all were not very good - I don't remember who wrote the article.

You're right Sararwelch - there have been a number of articles published about them. I recall one that was either in the New York Times or The Washington Post that said exactly what you said - that for what they cost &/or the effort it takes to make one at home, the taste doesn't even come close to what's been spent.

I remember the article calling them nothing but a "flash-in-the-pan extravagance" not worth the effort or expense.

Sara I just looked at your blog to see that you are in SF Bay area and I know there is a Whole Food Store there that does sell them. There are lots of upscale meat mks and gourmet groceries that make and sell them. We all enjoyed the turducken and it was good; however, if you expect it to taste like roast turkey then do not consider one. I am sure we will have it again next year.

Oh Swann - don't take my comment in an offensive way. I was just quoting what the article said. I've never had Turducken, so for all I know I might love it! : )

You can get turduken in Ca, I just walked by a counter full of them about 2 hours ago...Since I refuse to eat duck, I didn't even stop to look at them, my DH did, but I kept walking:LOL:
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom