Turkey, Turkey Stock, Cream and a slow cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIGANDYT

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys,

Ive been looking round the internet for recipies but im a newbie and havent found what im looking for..

What Im hoping to achieve is a creamy turkey soup

And ive got left over turkey, bout 5-6 pints of turkey stock and a couple of pints of single cream,

Question ive got is can i whack all of this in two slow cookers and just leave for around 4-6 hours bit of seasoning and hey presto...?

Maybe chuck in some chopped mushrooms?

Last edited:
In my opinion, your cream isn't going to hold up in a slow cooker for a long period of time. It will separate and the fat solids will rise to the top, cook on the sides and you will end up with unsightly chunks in your soup. This happens all of the time with creamed soups that are held for long periods of time. I would make the turkey soup, then add the cream near the end, like the last half hour, or so. Which is when most cream is added to soups. You could stand to pour in a bit of thickener with it also to help bind it all together. A simple one is to make a smooth paste with one tblsp flour to 1 tblsp water and bang it in just before the cream. If you want a really thick soup, I would double or even triple the thickener. Give it a good stir to blend it in and help prevent lumps. Then add your cream.

That is what I would do, anyway.

Last edited:
You can make turkey soup on the stove much quicker. Cooking it for that long isn't going to make it taste any better. Cook the turkey and veggies in the stock for 30 minutes and then, like Rocklobster said, add the cream at the end.

I agree. Add the cream at the end. What all is going in your soup besides turkey and mushrooms? Do you want all the stock you have to be in the soup or some reserved for another occasion.

awesome thanks for that..could have made a big boo boo...

basically got a few mates coming for new years eve and we are gonna be outside for a little bit, thought it would be nice to have a cup of soup to warm the cockles....the stock was cooking for about 24hrs in the slow cookers with vegetables so im gonna do what rocklobster said....i'll just do it before serving, I thought the slow cookers might make it taste nicer but it makes sense that it probably wont make any difference and the cream will spearate, i'll heat the stock with the mushrooms and turkey then just before i'll add the flour mixture and the cream and just heat through.

Cheers for the replies guys much appreciated, hope you had a good Christmas and have a great New Year,

Andy

Last edited:
Andy

Welcome!!

Since the turkey is already cooked, and the stock cooked for a while, all you need to do is combine them to make soup. Don't cook it longer. The turkey will dry out and start to disintegrate.

You might consider adding noodles or rice, though.

Andy

Welcome!!

Since the turkey is already cooked, and the stock cooked for a while, all you need to do is combine them to make soup. Don't cook it longer. The turkey will dry out and start to disintegrate.

You might consider adding noodles or rice, though.

You said what I was going to post. If the turkey (or chicken is already cooked, I add it at the end. The part about disintegrating is real. Kind of unappetizing. The flavor has gone into the stock and the meat is tasteless. I call it the rubber chicken effect.

It took me a long time to figure this one out, but now that I have, my soups and stews are much tastier. Figure out how long it takes to cook your meat, and either take it out when done to be added back at the end, or add it at the end leaving enough cooking time to get it ready to eat.

Smoked sausages like kielbasa are especially susceptable to being over cooked. The broth tastes great with all the sausage flavor, but overcooked sausage is just a tasteless lump.

Creamy Turkey Confetti Soup (cooked turkey, long grain & wild rice, green onions, chives, pimiento stuffed green olives, bacon, ½ & ½, Roux: bacon drippings & flour, chicken cooking stock, homemade turkey stock & homemade turkey gravy).

img_952340_0_e5245d74808a540ce97d70947f2acaf8.jpg

That is gorgeous. I couldn't get it to print the words, so I just printed out the picture and can add the rest by hand. Thank you. I can't wait to try this one.

I think my appetite is coming back, finally.

That is gorgeous. I couldn't get it to print the words, so I just printed out the picture and can add the rest by hand. Thank you. I can't wait to try this one.

I think my appetite is coming back, finally.
Welcome Z! I will work up a recipe and post it in the soup thread asap for you.

Welcome Z! I will work up a recipe and post it in the soup thread asap for you.

Did I thank you? Maybe in the other thread. It copied, pasted and printed just fine. I have everything except for pimentos or olives. Shopping on Tuesday.

I have the recipe with picture clipped to the front of my notebook where I can drool over it until I get to making it. Then I'll stick it on the front of the fridge.

The larger print size makes it easy to read while cooking and I can use one of those flexible rectangular magnets to mark my place.

Anyway, thanks again.

Did I thank you? Maybe in the other thread. It copied, pasted and printed just fine. I have everything except for pimentos or olives. Shopping on Tuesday.

I have the recipe with picture clipped to the front of my notebook where I can drool over it until I get to making it. Then I'll stick it on the front of the fridge.

The larger print size makes it easy to read while cooking and I can use one of those flexible rectangular magnets to mark my place.

Anyway, thanks again.
You're welcome Z!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom