TV Food Chef Products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
Just curious, how did you come to that conclusions?

Just as a take on your comment GB - Breezy, FoodTV can't promote products - that's why you see a generic-looking can of chicken stock labeled just that - chicken stock. They paper over everything. I don't know that I've ever seen RR make anything using Ritz or Triscuits - but if she DID you wouldn't know it other than her saying - the buttery round crackers.

I don't blame them for making the money while they can - I would do it and don't even hesitate at that answer. I think most of us would. I will say that I'd rather see them getting some payback instead of a sports figure who already makes mega-millions during a 2-year contract and that's WITHOUT advertising income. I bought her knife and LOVE it!!!! Now I will have to try the shrimp just to see for myself. I guess the USA thing is key to that sales pitch.

I do find it odd though that companies pay big bucks for someone to promote a VERY well-known product. It's kind of like when my boss wants to have a wine tasting and she picks out our good sellers - the whole purpose of the wine tasting is to have people taste the stuff they normally don't buy, that is JUST as good as what they already purchase.

But I guess with the holidays coming up it might give an easy option to some appetizers - the Ritz cracker thing.

kitchenelf said:
I don't blame them for making the money while they can - I would do it and don't even hesitate at that answer. I think most of us would.
I agree, Kitchenelf; if there was the chance for me to endorse a product I wouldn't be ashamed to use, I'd do it in a heartbeat. From the other side of the shelf, I don't make decisions based on the endorsement of celebrities or the lack thereof. In fact, I give celebrity endorsed products greater scrutiny than most, since the product may be riding solely on the celebrity's name. Read the label, compare, decide.

I fully agree bullseye. I went with a friend to a product show - she was all thrilled with what she was hearing - I'm like - - - - - think!!!!! THEY are selling this product - and YOU are falling for it! lol

But Ritz I will always buy! lol NOTHING makes a better smiley face using squirt cheese! :ROFLMAO:

GB said:
Something to keep in mind is that this is being posted on a food board. That means that most, if not all the people here are interested and have some knowledge about food.

I would venture to say that a majority of the people out there (at least in the US) are pretty clueless about food in general. It is getting better, but it is a slow process. For those clueless people, they know who Emeril or RR is and can use their face on a package to say "hey maybe this product my be a good one to try". Think of it like food training wheels.

I used to be one of those people that would buy something because someone I thought I respected (in this case, chefs and cooks on the food network), recommended it. I'd like to believe I'm wiser now. If someone endorses something (especially a celebrity), I usually do NOT purchase it, and I research elsewhere. http://www.discusscooking.com is one of my resources now, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this site.

Stop and think of it this way: If you purchase an item that a celebrity endorses, and you use this item and soon learn that the thing is a piece of crap, how are you going to feel about the person that recommended it?

GB - my conclusions (& yes, I could definitely be wrong here) come from never recalling EVER seeing RR use or mention any crackers with any of the recipes for dips/spreads she makes on her show. She either serves them with raw vegetables, or toasts baguette slices. I think that's what hit me most about finding her face suddenly emblazoned on Nabisco cracker boxes & touting them in tv commercials.

And while Emeril does always use his "essence", you certainly never see him making anything that uses any of the sauce products he has for sale in supermarkets these days.

And actually, Food Network really isn't all that intense as far as covering up product label names. I've seen RR use Glen Muir canned organic tomatoes, as well as a number of other easily recognizable products.

BreezyCooking said:
...you certainly never see him making anything that uses any of the sauce products he has for sale in supermarkets these days...

Emeril actually cooks on his show so you wouldn't expect him to use a prepared food.

What we do not see is what they use at home though. They do not have all the say as to what gets used on their shows (I am guessing), but at home they may be using these products.

When I see a name like Emerill on a line of cookware I shy away from it. Many times you will even see it co-branded with a companie's name behind it and the buyer mistakingly thinks it's the same quality as the original product. This is usaully not the case. They take a celebrity put their face on it, reduce the quality and call it that persons line of product hoping to capatalize on both the names. Like Emerill and Henkel knives for example. If you want Henkel buy the original. The co-branded products are a big profit center for both and the ignorant buying public has no clue. I'm not picking on Emerill. I really like his show and have made a number of his recipes. I don't blame him either for doing it. His name is a a product just like Michael Jordan and shoes. You need to make hay while the sun shines.

JDP

VeraBlue said:
My own, personal cooking gods were Julia and Graham. I don't ever recall seeing them hawk anything.

Julia, no - but if you had lived in Australia, New Zealand or Canada you might have seen Graham mention his counter-top convenction cooker ... same as the Decosonic convection cooker - made by the same company in China, marketed under 6-10 different "brand" names around the world.

I am neither seduced into buying things with a "TV Chef's" name on a product - nor do I not buy it because of the name. I look at the product, and make my judgement on the quality of the product.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom