"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
shrimp cocktail, lobster tails, baked spuds, boiled corn on the cob.

it should be interesting getting to the market and to a jewelry store on the way home. my truck won't shift into 4WD, and there's a huge ice storm upon us. wish me luck.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by buckytom
shrimp cocktail, lobster tails, baked spuds, boiled corn on the cob.

it should be interesting getting to the market and to a jewelry store on the way home. my truck won't shift into 4WD, and there's a huge ice storm upon us. wish me luck.
Bucky, I noticed you didn't list a specific dessert in your post. I assume that's where the jewelry store comes in.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #33
Senior Cook
We are having grilled sirloin steaks, baked potatoes, and salad. Dessert is cherry cobbler. Happy V-DAY!
GROCERY LIST: What you spend half an hour writing, then forget to take with you to the store.
JCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #34
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm getting creative today...

Late last night I made my own chili powder, and am marinating some porkloin in it along with a touch of garlic, some cumin and cinammon.

I have the rest of the 8 or 9 lbs. or pork loin roasting in the oven currently, just a simple dry rub of kosher salt and pepper melange. That's going to be for tacos, or burritos, or whatever else may strike our fancy later in the week.

I'm going to attempt a sort of off-the wall rissotto tonight as well, using more of my homeade chili powder, and some other southwestern and mexican spices. To that I'm adding some cream and cilantro. I'm also going to toss in some giant black tiger prawns into the mix. I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I'm hoping for a great chili-pepper flavor with a creamy texture, and a little bit of heat.

I've gave the chili powder a test run a lunch-time today, and it turned out pretty tasty, so I think I have a good shot of my rissotto turning out ok.

I've also got some black beans going, and am furiously trying to get that chocolate tower created ( some of you may be familiar with that post).

I'll you know how everything turns out and hope everyone has a great V-Day!
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #35
Senior Cook
Menu 2/14:

Steamed Bay mussels w/ ginger, sweet soya, in a coconut-lemon grass broth
Potato gratin with a Manchego cheese topping
Marionberry glazed rack of lamb
Cranberry compote
Chocolate-raspberry souffle
Poppinfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #36
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
well for the second year in a row i'm going to be spending the night with my daughter(15 1/2),and the little guy. Her wishes for the night are to order in chinese food,have the chocolate cupcakes with pink butter cream frosting and watch the Titanic.And i wait for my phone call from my sweetheart.We will probably go out sometime this weekend for a nice "alone" time dinner being he is only home for 4 days.But he comes home tomorrow CAN'T WAIT

babyhuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:17 PM   #37
Master Chef
We're having leftover ribeyes and baked potatoes...later.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:02 PM   #38
Senior Cook
Seeing as my GF and I celebrated over the weekend, here's what I made for us. Beef sirloin tip stir fry with, water chestnuts, baby corn, baby carrots, broccoli, and snap peas (they weren't fresh, so they got picked out) served with white rice.

Tonight, we're probably going to have something quick and easy. I may make my whole wheat pasta (not looking forward to the whole wheat, but dying for pasta!) and alfredo sauce. Gonna touch up the jar sauce with a little seasoning, fresh ground sea salt and a splash of EVOO.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #39
Master Chef
Well, since husband broke a tooth Monday & is still on a soup & yogurt diet, we had to bypass the traditional V-Day lobster dinner I usually make.

So instead I made a big pot of Portuguese Turkey Sausage, Potato, & Kale soup. Not very romantic, but I did get a dozen lovely scarlet roses, a sack of fabulous dark Giarhedelli(sp?) chocolates, & a Pacific Islands cookbook.

So, no complaints here.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #40
Senior Cook
I went with braised lamb shoulder. Braised in a nice Juan Gill Jumilla with leftover pizza sauce (instead of tomato paste/puree). Came out quite nice, actually. Served with steamed asparagus w/ garlic butter and plain peas (peas were supposed to go in a rice pilaf but I f-worded it up, so I just kept the peas out and we ate them separately).

Appetizer was giant Russian scallops wrapped in bacon, but the scallops were too big for the bacon to fit around, so the bacon was just kinda folder around. Very nice, regardless.

Dessert was homemade white chocolate peanut butter cups served with ice cream and caramel.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote