Valentine's Day Meals! What's for dinner!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I had a menu all planned but hadn't made it to the store to purchase the ingredients and BAM.....we were hit with this blizzard. DH shoveled the drive today so I can get to the local store. Unfort., this store isn't like the ones in the nearby town so I'll just go there and take a look at the meat and produce section to get inspired.
DH offered to take me out but I'd rather make him a meal here at home.....which thrilled him and his wallet....:LOL:

lulu said:
Well, its all gone pear shaped on me :rolleyes: having not wanted to eat out but have a smoochy evening in I gave in and let DH make a reservation. Now, I have woken up as sick as a dog, and I will neither be eatiing out or cooking :LOL:

Poor DH will have to rustle something up for himself, or get takeaway, while I sip tea slowly and try not to think abou my lovely box of chocolates!

So cheer me up, what's everybody else cooking tonight!

Hope you feel much better soon!

We're going out for dinner at a place that serves American/California style food made with seasonal local ingredients. It's one of my favorite local restaurants, but the chef changed in December. Since then, it hasn't been as good - I'm hoping it's just a transition period!!

We're having filet mignon with a red wine sauce, my latest favorite potatoes, and asparagus. Oh yes, sauteed mushrooms, oo.

We're having steak, potatoes, and some other veggie. No way are we going out tonight, it's snowing heavily and will turn into a blizzard later especially once the wind starts blowing it all over the place. I better start shoveling soon, since it is suppose to snow until tomorrow!

I'm going to be home alone tonight as my DH is the GM of a popular local restaurant. They should be busy - even though we had a horrific ice storm yesterday and everything is still ice covered and threatening!

boufa06 said:
Schnitzel, hmmm... yummy!! How do you prepare your spatzle?

I have a spatzle maker so it's very easy. All I need is a pot of boiling water. Actually I can't decide whether to make weiner or hunter schnitzel. I'll ask Mr HB if he wants just lemon or a mushroom sauce.

Pretty slim pickings in the meat department but I did find some really nice New York Strips so along with that we'll have a salad, roasted asparagus, roasted rosemary/garlic potatoes (2 cross each other out ;) ) and for dessert strawberry cheesecake.

shrimp cocktail, lobster tails, baked spuds, boiled corn on the cob.

it should be interesting getting to the market and to a jewelry store on the way home. my truck won't shift into 4WD, and there's a huge ice storm upon us. wish me luck.

buckytom said:
shrimp cocktail, lobster tails, baked spuds, boiled corn on the cob.

it should be interesting getting to the market and to a jewelry store on the way home. my truck won't shift into 4WD, and there's a huge ice storm upon us. wish me luck.

Bucky, I noticed you didn't list a specific dessert in your post. I assume that's where the jewelry store comes in.:angel::ROFLMAO:

I'm getting creative today...

Late last night I made my own chili powder, and am marinating some porkloin in it along with a touch of garlic, some cumin and cinammon.

I have the rest of the 8 or 9 lbs. or pork loin roasting in the oven currently, just a simple dry rub of kosher salt and pepper melange. That's going to be for tacos, or burritos, or whatever else may strike our fancy later in the week.

I'm going to attempt a sort of off-the wall rissotto tonight as well, using more of my homeade chili powder, and some other southwestern and mexican spices. To that I'm adding some cream and cilantro. I'm also going to toss in some giant black tiger prawns into the mix. I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I'm hoping for a great chili-pepper flavor with a creamy texture, and a little bit of heat.

I've gave the chili powder a test run a lunch-time today, and it turned out pretty tasty, so I think I have a good shot of my rissotto turning out ok.

I've also got some black beans going, and am furiously trying to get that chocolate tower created ( some of you may be familiar with that post).

I'll you know how everything turns out and hope everyone has a great V-Day!

Menu 2/14:

Steamed Bay mussels w/ ginger, sweet soya, in a coconut-lemon grass broth
Potato gratin with a Manchego cheese topping
Marionberry glazed rack of lamb
Cranberry compote
Chocolate-raspberry souffle

Last edited:
well for the second year in a row i'm going to be spending the night with my daughter(15 1/2),and the little guy. Her wishes for the night are to order in chinese food,have the chocolate cupcakes with pink butter cream frosting and watch the Titanic.And i wait for my phone call from my sweetheart.We will probably go out sometime this weekend for a nice "alone" time dinner being he is only home for 4 days.But he comes home tomorrow CAN'T WAIT ;)

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE

Seeing as my GF and I celebrated over the weekend, here's what I made for us. Beef sirloin tip stir fry with, water chestnuts, baby corn, baby carrots, broccoli, and snap peas (they weren't fresh, so they got picked out) served with white rice.

Tonight, we're probably going to have something quick and easy. I may make my whole wheat pasta (not looking forward to the whole wheat, but dying for pasta!) and alfredo sauce. Gonna touch up the jar sauce with a little seasoning, fresh ground sea salt and a splash of EVOO.

Well, since husband broke a tooth Monday & is still on a soup & yogurt diet, we had to bypass the traditional V-Day lobster dinner I usually make.

So instead I made a big pot of Portuguese Turkey Sausage, Potato, & Kale soup. Not very romantic, but I did get a dozen lovely scarlet roses, a sack of fabulous dark Giarhedelli(sp?) chocolates, & a Pacific Islands cookbook.

So, no complaints here.

I went with braised lamb shoulder. Braised in a nice Juan Gill Jumilla with leftover pizza sauce (instead of tomato paste/puree). Came out quite nice, actually. Served with steamed asparagus w/ garlic butter and plain peas (peas were supposed to go in a rice pilaf but I f-worded it up, so I just kept the peas out and we ate them separately).

Appetizer was giant Russian scallops wrapped in bacon, but the scallops were too big for the bacon to fit around, so the bacon was just kinda folder around. Very nice, regardless.

Dessert was homemade white chocolate peanut butter cups served with ice cream and caramel.

Back
Top Bottom