"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-22-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
I remember i didn't want to have anything to do with cheese. My parents started sneaking it into things though, and i remember the first time I had pizza, i couldn't believe that it was covered in cheese. So I nade a deal with them that I would only eat cheese that was melted. Then they got me to try mozzarella cheese cold, and I liked it, and eventually lost my fear of cheese.
Tell me more, college - my boy still doesn't care for cheese, except on pizza. What other tricks did your folks have up their sleeves? Did you learn to like yellow cheeses? Teach me, wise one!

Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

try to find a brand of whole wheat pastas called bionaturae. i think it's made in italy. it's the best whole wheat i've tried; the closest to regular pasta.

also, making spicy pasta sauces helps mask the flavor of the whole wheat. i will post my recipe for shrimp and scallops fra diavolo when i get the chance (i never write anything down or measure when i cook). it goes really well with the bionaturae spaghetti.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
buckwheat pasta is actually very tasty, bursting with nutty flavours, if some kids can get over the weirdness of pasta being brown with some dark dots, instead of being white, this can easily be a winner.

Italian version of buckwheat pasta is called pizzoccheri, they are more like thick and shorter tagliatelle. The traditional recipe is the pasta tossed with oodles of melting cheese, garlic butter, potatoes and your choice of vegetables (shredded cabbage or spinach is the traditional selection, which can also be tricky with some picky kids, I have tried it with broccoli, chopped brussel sprouts and mushrooms they are also great, another possible option is courgette/zucchini... let the kids choose the vegetables.), they are so wonderfully rich and tasty (though not particularly "light"...), and well enough covered so you can hardly see the difference of the pasta. It makes a gorgeous dinner especially on a chilly evening. It is well worth a try.

BTW we also have an extraordinarily stubborn, picky 7 year old boy(well, son of my partner who lives with his mother) who should really be growing out of his "little kid fussiness" but showing no sign of it, I would welcome more input as to how to "break" picky children!!