Vegetarian sides, but no main course.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vyopti, exactly. If the guest of honor (birthday, visiting from out of town, etc) has different dietary needs (extreme food allergies, vegetarian in all of its many forms, diverticulitis, diabetic, etc), then I DO go the whole nine yards to make an entire meal with them in mind, just as I make lasagna when certain friends visit because I know it is their favorite and it's just once a year. On the other hand when it is a regular thing and I'm cooking for a dozen or more, I just make sure there are enough dishes on the table for the guest to be able to make a meal. Once a young diabetic friend was visiting and her mother commented to me and my mom that she really appreciated that we'd sweetened a lot of stuff with an artificial sweetener the young lady could eat! We laughed because we don't have a sweet tooth among us and just preferred leaving things unsweetened (believe me, in the south if you don't ask for it unsweetened a non-diabetic could go into a coma and lose all their teeth drinking the tea) or use alternative sweeteners. The thing is you want to be a good host, but at some point it becomes almost i mpossible to take everyone's needs and desires into account for every dish in every meal.

The other thing I do a lot is potluck. In our group the host makes the main dish and everyone else brings appetizers, sides, desert. That way a fussy eater is guaranteed to have at least one dish he/she truly likes and meets his/her needs.

Back
Top Bottom