"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
It's on my list of things to do before I die, but it's not in my immediate future plans.

I adore TK
It's not on mine!

The only way I will ever go is if someone takes me -- and pays the bill. I don't like "precious" food, and I'm not impressed by the fact there's no sign identifying the restaurant... oh, don't get me started. I'm sure his food is fabulous, but so is lots of chefs' food... and they don't have such pretensions.

Personally, I'd rather have all of you over to my house for a pot luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I would go, I'd pay for it, I'd feel good about it, I'd savor every bite> I will reserve complaining until after I try it.

And I STILL want all of us to get together for a big ol' potluck. That's a potluck I wouldn't want to miss!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
Executive Chef

i'm on my way ChefJune, with some spinach salad!

I simply can not imagine spending that much money on one meal

just can not imagine it

what I could do with $500.......certainly not blow it on one meal

I could not enjoy the experience, even if some one else was paying
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm with kitchenelf, here. I think, with all our expertise and creativity, a group from DC could certainly produce a potluck that would rival any multi-star eatery anywhere on the planet. So, there.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
It's not on mine!

The only way I will ever go is if someone takes me -- and pays the bill. I don't like "precious" food, and I'm not impressed by the fact there's no sign identifying the restaurant... oh, don't get me started. I'm sure his food is fabulous, but so is lots of chefs' food... and they don't have such pretensions.

Personally, I'd rather have all of you over to my house for a pot luck!

I'll be over with a covered dish, but I'll still go to TFL someday.

I know there are lots of fabulous and talented chefs out there, I have eaten food created by many of them.

But I have long been a fan of TK and this thinking on food. I'm sure a lot of people find him pretentious, but I find him to be rather brilliant and insightful.

I have no problem blowing big money on a FL meal because to me it's more than just eating. It's about the food and the ideas behind it.

P.S. to June -- we are hoping to go to Taillevent for lunch again when in Paris in 2 weeks. We dropped about $150 each for lunch and wine last time. And it was worth every penny, IMO. We are also going to London and the exchange rate is so bad that we might only be afford a few pints.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
P.S. to June -- we are hoping to go to Taillevent for lunch again when in Paris in 2 weeks. We dropped about $150 each for lunch and wine last time. And it was worth every penny, IMO.
Be sure to give my regards to M. Vrinat, and tell him I'm looking forward to seeing him in November! I love being able to enjoy Taillevent for 70 Euros plus wine!

I'm trying to figure out if I want to try another biggie in Paris, as well. haven't been to L'Ami Louis in a long time, and Pierre Gagnaire certainly has Paris all a-buzz...
Old 04-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
Be sure to give my regards to M. Vrinat, and tell him I'm looking forward to seeing him in November! I love being able to enjoy Taillevent for 70 Euros plus wine!

I'm trying to figure out if I want to try another biggie in Paris, as well. haven't been to L'Ami Louis in a long time, and Pierre Gagnaire certainly has Paris all a-buzz...

I will practice my French just for you! I was embarassed to try it last time. He was very nice -- made you feel taken care so unobtrusively -- though we didn't have that much direct contact with him.

Did I tell you they brought the cheese course out on a huge tray that took 2 waieters to carry? We didn't have it very much enjoyed the display! The brie was at least 24 inches across.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I have The French Laundry Cookbook,thats about as close as Im going to get.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I would love to go some day, but at this point in my life I could not justify spending that kind of $ on a meal. Not to mention the airfare just to get there. If I did not have a family to think about and was within driving distance then yes I would go. Per Se is a possibility for me someday because of the location. I would certainly drive to NY for a quality meal. I have actually put the bug in my wifes ear that if she ever wanted to get me a special gift, dinner at Per Se for the two of us would be very memorable.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I was there many years ago, it was amazing!!