"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Want to join me for dinner at The French Laundry?

Those of you who know Thomas Keller's flagship restaurant also know it's reputation for nearly impossible to get reservations, only 16 available tables, booked only 2 months in advance; I believe that they have booked their res. book 2 months in advance for about 7 years running now.

I did just read online that they have a small area reserved for private parties of 8-10, which you can book up to a year in advance. So what I want to know is, who wants to go with me??? Seriously though, it sounds like if you want to get into the FL in this lifetime, booking yourself a party of 8 a year in advance seems like it might be the easy way in. Of course once you're in you have to make sure you can afford the $240 menu plus wine and tip...

Has anyone every been there? I'd love to hear a firsthand account of what it was like.

And I ask again, only half-jokingly, would anyone be interested in going? It might be fun for a group of us to enjoy dinner at what has been called the best restaurant in the world, with other known foodies. If nothing else, it's fun to dream about.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

It's on my list of things to do before I die, but it's not in my immediate future plans.

I adore TK

Old 04-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

Is that $240 + wine & tip per person in the party? That would seem the only way to make money on the party at this restaurant.

What type of food do they specialize in serving? Is there a dress code?

Do they offer accomodations for parties every night of the week or Fri/Sat only?

Where is this restaurant located? Is this restaurant a sole business or is it a catered restaurant in a luxury hotel?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Is that $240 + wine & tip per person in the party? That would seem the only way to make money on the party at this restaurant.

What type of food do they specialize in serving? Is there a dress code?

Do they offer accomodations for parties every night of the week or Fri/Sat only?

Where is this restaurant located? Is this restaurant a sole business or is it a catered restaurant in a luxury hotel?

$240 is the average per person price at the restaurant. Add on to that wine and tip costs, and you're looking at $350-$400 per person. Its French and American cuisine, and the dress code is semi-formal, jackets required ties optional I believe. I believe they offer parties every night of the week. And the FL is a stand-alone business located in Yountville, CA, though the chef/owner has opened other restaurants with other names, including Bouchon, which has a few locations across the country ( i think), and Per Se, in New York.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Holy Christmas, Batman! That's some chunk of change for yum yums. At this point, it's a bit out of my budget unless I win the lottery. Gotta play first, though. Hope y'all who dine there give the rest of us a detailed description.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I've been there!

I was lucky enough to experience the French Laundry a couple of years ago. I was able to get reservations on Opentable.com within less than a month I believe. The service and food were all amazing. I think I counted and we had like 13 separate place settings. It's prix fixe, so it's a bunch of different courses. They were really nice about explainign and everything and let me make a couple of substitutions. The desserts just kept coming!! There was the main dessert from the menu, but there were also a cookie plate and truffles and somethign else. IT lasted about 2 hours. For two of us with 1 1/2 bottles of wine and a glass of champagne was $550 or so with tip I believe. I would personally never spend that, but if $550 is an amount you can imagine spending for a wonderful evening and great experience, I highly recommend it!
Lara
Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

He has a restaurant in NYC called Per Se, but I can't imagine it comes near the experince of TFL.

Michael Ruhlman is close to TK and wrote about him in his book "The Soul of A Chef."

He also has restaurant in Vegas called Bouchon, as well as a smaller place in CA by the same name.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Head Chef

I've heard that Per Se is pretty great, with many of the dishes from the FL served at Per Se as well. However, I have heard the the execution isn't as good at Per Se. And I think Bouchon is supposed to be more affordable for your average person than Per Se or FL.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook
I've heard that Per Se is pretty great, with many of the dishes from the FL served at Per Se as well. However, I have heard the the execution isn't as good at Per Se. And I think Bouchon is supposed to be more affordable for your average person than Per Se or FL.

The whole FL atmosphere, the way the tables are layed out, the building, the remote location etc. etc. etc. That's what I want!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
What type of food do they specialize in serving?
Pretentious cuisine!

That is why I have no intention of feeding this man's ego by feeding myself in his restaurant. I'd sooner go to Restaurant Gary Danko, which has earned a 5 star rating from Mobil for 6 years running AND Relais & Chateau designation.

Their menu prices are reasonable for a restaurant of that status (3 Courses $61 :: 4 Courses $77 :: 5 Courses $92), and their tasting menu, which is all French laundry offers, is less than half the price of French Laundry.