"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-18-2005, 02:15 PM   #11
Head Chef

Wasabi, is it easy to make? I've never made this and want to try it, I think my son would like it. I've never made sushi, so can you post directions or a recipe? Thx! :)

Old 02-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Norg, good for you for trying it! Is it spam misubi that you have a recipe for? (spelling, wasabi, you can correct me) :) I actually really like that dish (?) it's great on the go food. though when I picked up a piece while in Hawaii last year, they put very little spam in it. :( I've had better pieces where the rice to spam ratio was much better.
The heading on the recipe is for spam sushi, I am not certain what misubi is. wasabi is a Japanese horseraddish, green in color, carries a nip and is quite good.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Wasabi, is it easy to make? I've never made this and want to try it, I think my son would like it. I've never made sushi, so can you post directions or a recipe? Thx! :)
Spam© Musubi

5 Cups cooked sushi rice -- room temperature

5 sheets nori - cut in half lengthwise

1 (12oz) can of SPAM©

6 tsbp soy sauce

4 tbsp mirin

4 tbsp sugar

Furikake to taste

Cut spam© into 10 slices, fry until slightly crispy. Remove and drain on plate lined with paper towels. In a second pan, combine soy sauce, mirin, and sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to low. Add spam© slices, coating them in the mixture. when the mixture has thickend, remove spam from the pan.

Lay a sheet of Nori lengthwise on clean surface. Moisten lwer half of husubi maker (see note) and place on lower third of nori. Fill mishubi maker with rice and press flat until the rice is 3/4 inch high. Sprinkle rice with furikake. top with slice of spam©. Remove musubi maker and keep in bowl of warm water to keep it clean and moist.

Starting at the end towards you, fold nori over spam© and rice stack and keep rolling until compleately wrapped in the nori. Slightly dampen the end of the nori to seal it. Repeat with the other slices. Make sure to rince off the misubi maker after each use to prevent it from getting too sticky.

Note: you can also use an empty can of spam© that can that has been opened on both sides for musubi mold, using your hands or a peice of spam© to press down on the rice.

Yield: makes 10 musubi

prep time: 25 minutes

cooking time: 30 minutes

difficulty: easy

I do not use the mirin, soy sauce and sugar.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #14
Certified Executive Chef

Thanks wasabi, btw why do you not use mirin, soy and sugar? What do you use as a substitute.???
Old 02-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I do not coat my spam in this mixture. I don't like my spam sweet, just plain fried spam.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks Wasabi!! :)
Old 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi
I do not coat my spam in this mixture. I don't like my spam sweet, just plain fried spam.
oh, I knew that.....
Old 02-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #18
Master Chef

I was in Ausin, MN one day, after visiting the Spam museum. Hubby and I were having a drink at a bar, and mentioned that we'd lived in Hawaii off & on for ten years, and still had many freinds in Hawaii. Our bartender asked, "Is it true that Spam is really THAT popular in Hawaii?" YES!!!!! Even some of the fanciest restaurants where we'd go for breakfast or brunch would have Spam. Many, many sushis made with Spam. Pineapple and spam chunks on a skewer. It rather burns my butt to see "Hawaiian pizza" being passed off with Canadian bacon. Huh? In Hawaii, at least in my day, it would be ... yes, Spam. Saimin (similar to ramen noodles, if you've never done small places in Hawaii) often has a chunk or two of Spam. I never did develop a taste for it. But I think some day I'll throw a real luau, and you bet there will be Spam on the menu!!

OK, there are a couple of current residents of Hawaii on these boards. AM I wrong?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
OK, there are a couple of current residents of Hawaii on these boards. AM I wrong?
Here I am. Queen of Spam, wasabi!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:09 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thank you, Wasabi!! Seriously, the barkeep at that Austin (excuse the typo above) place actually said she and many of her classmates (I had the feeling that she was maybe mid 30s) were told that Hawaii had the largest per capital consumption of Spam (Korea was #2)(interesting that we're comparing a state to a country, but I won't go there), and she and her freinds thought it was propaganda (my word, she said something else that i can't quite remember). When Jer and I told her that a REAL Hawaiian pizza would have spam, that no cocktail party would be without some spam preparation, and no breakfast would be without it, be it fast food or top of the line fancy restaurant. Spam rules in Hawaii. I'm glad to hear some things never change. As I said, I could live forever without eating spam .... BUT .... it wouldn't be Hawaii without spam.