Wed. 5-31-17 Dinner thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
What is (or was) on your table this evening? Kind of a late start this evening. :)

I had a baked cod filet, simply cooked with just kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, and a slice of lemon. Watermelon for a side.

Cheryl, that sounds quite Summer-y and GOOD!

We had a "local style" meal:

001.JPG

Zippy's frozen Chili with Beans,
pan fried Hot Dogs
all served atop steamed White (sticky) Rice with
some diced Sweet White Onion and Shredded Cheese...

What us "locals" call, Chili Frank Plate, YUM! :yum:

The only thing missing was the Zippy's Macaroni Salad (which I forgot to make) and Diamond Bakery Soda Crackers.

I hoard the frozen Chili and the Crackers. I'm down to only two boxes of crackers and 6 bags of Chili.

We'll need to make a trip to our favorite California Asian Market again
SOON!

That looks good, kgirl. Every now and then I crave a good 'dog and chili' plate. :yum:

Yesterday this recipe was mentioned again, and since it's been a long time since I made it, tonight was the night.Cuban-Style Picadillo Recipe - Allrecipes.com
The black beans and rice were good with it too.

I think I've only eaten fried plantains once so why not make those too?

I sure can use some hints when I don't know what I'm doing, so off to youtube I went to hunt and choose. Some video's were so bad they were laughable. Thankfully some were pretty good. I learned a lot about frying sliced plantains and I think I've got it down now. Oh my gosh, they were so durn good!! The bad news is they're full of carbs, but the good news is they are delicious and I mean delicious!!

Last edited:
We had salads (mixed greens, arugula with the stems pinched off ;) , olives, cukes, mushrooms, tomatoes, Feta), and then put a dent in the leftovers. I finished the chicken with preserved lemons and olives; Himself cleaned up the Flageolet beans and sausage.

I heated up some of the smoked barbecued beef from a few days ago and made potato and green salads. Nice and easy for a warm, humid day. 0531172035b_HDR.jpg

I heated up some of the smoked barbecued beef from a few days ago and made potato and green salads. Nice and easy for a warm, humid day. 0531172035b_HDR.jpg

Kay, did you have tostones or maduros or chips?

We had Mac and Cheese My Way with tasso, shrimp, spinach, fontina and white cheddar. Good as always.

Tostones - unripe, yellow to yellow with minimal black streaks, cut in inch to 1.5 inch pieces, fried, smashed down, then refried.

Maduros - ripe, black skin, fried at relatively low temp so sugars won't burn, but will slightly caramelize.

Chips - unripe, yellow to yellow with moderate black streaking, still pretty firm, sliced thinly crosswise or lengthwise, fried like potato chips.

Tostones - unripe, yellow to yellow with minimal black streaks, cut in inch to 1.5 inch pieces, fried, smashed down, then refried.

Maduros - ripe, black skin, fried at relatively low temp so sugars won't burn, but will slightly caramelize.

Chips - unripe, yellow to yellow with moderate black streaking, still pretty firm, sliced thinly crosswise or lengthwise, fried like potato chips.

OK, well one was deep yellow with a few black spots/streaks. The other was about half black. I fried the 1" thick slices only once in about 1/2" of med. hot oil till they were golden brown on both sides and then gave them a light salt sprinkle as they were draining. What should mine be called? Did I make something new? :LOL:

OK, well one was deep yellow with a few black spots/streaks. The other was about half black. I fried the 1" thick slices only once in about 1/2" of med. hot oil till they were golden brown on both sides and then gave them a light salt sprinkle as they were draining. What should mine be called? Did I make something new? :LOL:

You made Tosmaduchips.... :ROFLMAO:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom