Wednesday, 2-22-2017, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Roasted chicken thighs, sweet potatoes, and blood oranges, with a chickpea, castelvetrano olive and feta salad. Recipe from the February Bon Appetit mag.

picture.php

Leftover chicken wings from yesterday, a small red potato salad I threw together this morning, and asparagus.

Roasting a small chicken and making pilaf and fresh peas. (SO likes to mix her peas into the pilaf.)

Broiled salmon, nuked spuds, and garlic sauteed broccoli, cauliflower, and baby carrots.

Oyster sauce beef without the broccoli. I've been putting off making it, but I think tonight I'll give it a try. Only problem is the recipe calls for cooking sherry and I don't have any, so I'll have to skip that.

More chicken here. Mine is in the form of wings to be cooked indirectly on the Weber Kettle, with a few chunks of hickory wood to provide a subtle perfume.

CD

Oyster sauce beef without the broccoli. I've been putting off making it, but I think tonight I'll give it a try. Only problem is the recipe calls for cooking sherry and I don't have any, so I'll have to skip that.
You won't miss it. If you ever decide to buy sherry (it lasts forever), buy regular dry sherry and not cooking sherry. Don't buy any "cooking" wine, in fact. It's got salt added to prevent people from drinking it plain (that was done during Prohibition).

My feet and arthritic knee are bugging me today, so DH is going to take over: PF Chang's shrimp lo mein with extra frozen snow peas added.

You won't miss it. If you ever decide to buy sherry (it lasts forever), buy regular dry sherry and not cooking sherry. Don't buy any "cooking" wine, in fact. It's got salt added to prevent people from drinking it plain (that was done during Prohibition).

It was done specifically because chef's were drinking too much wine and becoming alcoholics or at the very least getting drunk and not cooking up to par. It is okay to use, but you have to really allow for the salt content. We used it in school but even though I don't drink wine at all, I always have at least a bottle each of red and white for cooking. I also have many liqueurs, rum (tarts), whiskey (BBQ sauce), etc. A good friend laughed when she was helping me unpack on our last move. She said for a non-drinker you have quite the bar! :LOL:

I had one day reprieve from my flu back and got really hit with it again today. I have been drinking orange juice, water, tea, and not eating much of anything.

I made TB Italian sausages with baked potato and the Greek salad I made him on Sunday.

I am hoping to try some soup in a bit.

Fridge-cleaning day and we didn't have many leftovers. :ohmy: :ermm: :ohmy: I know! ~~~ I picked up a stuffed potato skin each when I bought some Braunschweiger at the store today. Wanted that to schmear on top of a thin slice of my very *ahem* sturdy rye bread that I baked the other day. German Pâté!

We had what I call Slop. A mix of mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, and melted cheese. We're sort of hammed out.

Last edited:
It was done specifically because chef's were drinking too much wine and becoming alcoholics or at the very least getting drunk and not cooking up to par. It is okay to use, but you have to really allow for the salt content. We used it in school but even though I don't drink wine at all, I always have at least a bottle each of red and white for cooking. I also have many liqueurs, rum (tarts), whiskey (BBQ sauce), etc. A good friend laughed when she was helping me unpack on our last move. She said for a non-drinker you have quite the bar! [emoji38]

That may be true in Canada, but that's not my understanding of the reason it was done in the United States. I would be surprised to find that restaurants here use cooking wine.

MN Walleye, green beans sauteed in garlic butter with mushrooms and lemon zest, a salsa of avocado, tomato, red onion, and lime juice, and side of wild rice. A white b'day cake my Dad bought s/where, I didn't have any of that. My Mom ate all of her walleye fillet, and Dad and I gave her a bit of each of ours. I think it is day 15 that she has gotten the clean plate award. She is eating so well lately.

Fridge-cleaning day and we didn't have many leftovers. :ohmy: :ermm: :ohmy: I know! ~~~ I picked up a stuffed potato skin each when I bought some Braunschweiger at the store today. Wanted that to schmear on top of a thin slice of my very *ahem* sturdy rye bread that I baked the other day. German Pâté!

I LOVE that stuff! Schmeared, sliced for sammies, on top of crackers....yum. I bet it was wonderful on your homemade rye, CG. :)

I did a freezer clean out a couple of days ago. Couldn't believe what I had saved....glad to get the oldies out and make room for the new. :)

More chicken here. Mine is in the form of wings to be cooked indirectly on the Weber Kettle, with a few chunks of hickory wood to provide a subtle perfume.

CD

Follow up. Just seasoned with salt, pepper and granulated garlic -- and smoke.

Attachments

• Wings001.jpg
    Wings001.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom