Wednesday 5/10/2017 What's on the plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Homemade pizza (well Mama Mary pizza crust with our sauce and toppings) or raviolis and a side salad. We'll see how the vote goes. LOL

Woke up with a headache today that just won't leave. Quick and simple supper - I'm making chili with Bush's chili Texas beans and Ro-tel fire-roasted tomatoes. Probably a salad, since I still have a lot of the 1# tub of baby spinach to work through. Wish we liked it cooked, but it makes the back of our teeth feel chalky all the rest of the day - even if we brush. :huh:

I'm making chili with Bush's chili Texas beans and Ro-tel fire-roasted tomatoes. Probably a salad, since I still have a lot of the 1# tub of baby spinach to work through. Wish we liked it cooked, but it makes the back of our teeth feel chalky all the rest of the day - even if we brush. :huh:

Bush's chili is really not bad for canned chili, if you jazz it up a bit. I'm not sure what "Texas beans" are, but down here, that would be Ranch Style brand beans. Rotel tomatoes are heavily used down here, too. I haven't tried the "fire roasted" ones -- to be honest, this is the first I've heard of them. I'll look for them the next time I go shopping.

I have no idea what I want for dinner. I'm probably just going to graze tonight.

CD

CD, the Bush label actually calls the product "ChiliMagic" chili starter, and the heat factor is "Texas ~ Medium". I used to use the mild seasoned beans, but my tongue is getting stronger. :bb: Now, between the medium beans and the extra spices I toss in, I'm enjoying it a bit spicier than Himself can take. :LOL: Later, I pay for it with indigestion, but a couple of Tums knock-offs takes care of the problem.

DH has a choice of leftover split pea soup or ham salad. Sounds like he had a big lunch so he probably won't faint from hunger. We have a few blueberries left.

Bush's chili is really not bad for canned chili, if you jazz it up a bit. I'm not sure what "Texas beans" are, but down here, that would be Ranch Style brand beans. Rotel tomatoes are heavily used down here, too. I haven't tried the "fire roasted" ones -- to be honest, this is the first I've heard of them. I'll look for them the next time I go shopping.

I have no idea what I want for dinner. I'm probably just going to graze tonight.

CD

CD, Fire Roasted Tomatoes are wonderful, much more depth in flavor than just plain ole' tinned tomatoes, although Ro-tel has more "stuff" in it that you don't have to buy. I use the Fire Roasted Tomatoes in my stews and Chilis, then I add chopped medium heat Hatch Chiles to our liking, but I always have some whole ones stashed in the deep freeze.
**Note to self: used the last package of chiles, need to get more.

I have enough leftover chicken fajita filling for another dinner. I'm cooking rice with a bit of salsa and will serve the chicken and veggies on top, with cheese, sour cream and more salsa. And guacamole!

Room inspection tomorrow. So for dinner tonight I'm just heating up some frozen chicken soft tacos in foil so I can keep the stove clean and not have to finish up so many dishes.

I am still on soup - can't seem to stomach much else since the surgery. Today it was mushroom with a couple of pieces of toast (all gluten and dairy free of course).

TB is off work today so I am sure he will have something light as in the rest of the chicken strips. I have let him sleep and he can eat whenever he gets up.

CD, Fire Roasted Tomatoes are wonderful, much more depth in flavor than just plain ole' tinned tomatoes, although Ro-tel has more "stuff" in it that you don't have to buy. I use the Fire Roasted Tomatoes in my stews and Chilis, then I add chopped medium heat Hatch Chiles to our liking, but I always have some whole ones stashed in the deep freeze.
**Note to self: used the last package of chiles, need to get more.

I have cooked cherry tomatoes on the grill, and you are right, the natural flavors of the tomato are intensified. I just haven't bought them in a can. Chef Rick Bayless uses them when fresh tomatoes are out of season, and recommends them. I just haven't tried them, yet.

CD

Per DH's request (He even says it correctly :rolleyes:)
Steak Frites with a side Chopped salad and homemade vinaigrette

003.JPG
[Grilled Flank Steak, sliced thinly and AHEM,
frozen Shoestring Potatoes, shallow fried]

I turned him on to this dish quite a few years back
and he was hooked from then on.

DH: What's this? It's something new, I don't like new...
(please add whiny 10 year old boy voice here for effect)
Me: It's a French or Belgium dish called Steak Frites
DH: It looks like Steak and French fries
Me: Yup! More ketchup dear?

:LOL:

I cook for dad and step-mom, both in their 90's, every Wed. They live about 45 min away.
My dad, he's Greek, wanted salted mackerel for dinner this evening. He loves J food. (he married 3 Japanese women, including this current one).
Anyway, here's a couple of pic from tonight's cook.IMG_0139.jpgIMG_0140.jpg

Last edited:
I cook for dad and step-mom, both in their 90's, every Wed. They live about 45 min away.
My dad, he's Greek, wanted salted mackerel for dinner this evening. He loves J food. (he married 3 Japanese women, including this current one).
Anyway, here's a couple of pic from tonight's cook.View attachment 26848View attachment 26849

Looks like Dad got a little Japanese w/ his J ;) maybe a bit of Teri Chicken skewers?
Oishi!

I am still on soup - can't seem to stomach much else since the surgery. Today it was mushroom with a couple of pieces of toast (all gluten and dairy free of course).

TB is off work today so I am sure he will have something light as in the rest of the chicken strips. I have let him sleep and he can eat whenever he gets up.

Stick with what works for you Lydia!

I think that's fantastic you do that every week RF!! What a good son you are.

I think my SC has an "in" with the butcher at our local super market because he came home again with another two beautiful fillet mignon's at half price before they hit the half price bin. Whoa!! I had the full slices of bacon ready to wrap them with my handy dandy silicone bands and sear as a "ball" all around to perfectly red rare.
I removed them from the skillet and covered to rest as I made the pan sauce to go over the top...
Mushrooms, shallots, garlic, brandy deglaze...you know the drill, a little of this and that. Deeeeelish.
Mashed potatoes for the SC, and steamed broccolini for both of us.

I wasn't in the mood to eat chili when I started to prep it. Started to pull stuff from the freezer (two short pints of homemade chicken stock-cleaned out until I make more in the fall) and fridge (another cup or so in a box of stock, leftover griddled chicken, mushrooms, and the spinach) and made up a pot of chicken soup with a package of Carolina brand seasoned long grain and wild rice and a generous pour of half-and-half. Yes, I know I said "cooked spinach" makes our teeth chalky feeling. That's true if it's steamed or sauteed. Doesn't bother if it's cooked into soup. :huh: Go figure.

Enough leftovers from each pot for at least another meal. Bonus: lots of room in the fridge for new stuff. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom