Wednesday 8/23/2017 What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I think DD wants Pizza or ham steak, eggs and pancakes. I need to use up some whey from the homemade yogurt so pancakes are a good use. We'll decide later.
I will hopefully use some whey to make a Kalamata olive and rosemary no knead loaf for tomorrow.

Got lazy yesterday and made linguica, scallions and scrambled eggs instead of the schnitzel w/mushroom gravy, etc...

Did the schnitzel stuff today...

Marionberry pie for later..

Ross

It's TACO WEDNESDAY for us.

Your alliteration needs work. :)

Meatless Mondays, Taco Tuesdays, maybe Wings Wednesday?

Nevertheless, I could go for one of your tacos, Andy. It's just leftovers here. No fun with words for leftovers.

There's leftover underblade steak and grilled onions, leftover french fries, leftover bucatini, leftover chicken parm, and leftover meataballs and sausage.

I think I'll go for the steak and fries. How do you say leftover steak frites?

Last edited:
Inspiration took a hike today and, by lunchtime, I still hadn't come up with a meal plan. Asked Glenn if anything tickled his fancy. Said he wanted sausage gravy and biscuits. Works for me.

So, I made a mess o'biscuits and a big skillet of sausage gravy, heavy on the sausage. Sure hit the spot and we were adequately satisfied.

That sould be in the dictionary, KTH.

Right alongside plurals (venery) such as a gaggle of geese, a murder of crows, a bunch of carrots, and a mess o' biscuits. It says something about its origin.

Last edited:
Grandson is here so I made he favorite supper. Pork chops with grave, mashed potatoes and green beans. For dessert he had milk with Oreo cookies. Then he other grandpa picked him up and took him to bingo, hope they win.

Inspiration took a hike today and, by lunchtime, I still hadn't come up with a meal plan. Asked Glenn if anything tickled his fancy. Said he wanted sausage gravy and biscuits. Works for me.

So, I made a mess o'biscuits and a big skillet of sausage gravy, heavy on the sausage. Sure hit the spot and we were adequately satisfied.

One of our all time family favorites, breakfast or dinner.. :yum:

Have you used Italian sausage in yours, Katie?
I have used the same recipe by Jeff Smith (PBS), since the early 80's...
Love it...

Ross

More good country cooking for us tonight. After bourbon sampling at Maker's Mark and Willett Distillery, we needed food quick! Ate at a popular spot in Bardstown KY called "Mammy's". Himself ordered a delicious KY Hot Brown sandwich. Ate more than half; the rest is in the car for...breakfast? Mmm, maybe. I had country ham again, this time with fried green tomatoes and sautéed apples. Ended up getting a slice of chocolate cream pie to eat when we get to our hotel outside of Cincinnati later tonight.

Attachments

• 20170823_181053.jpg
    20170823_181053.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 135
  • 20170823_181110.jpg
    20170823_181110.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
One of our all time family favorites, breakfast or dinner.. :yum:

Have you used Italian sausage in yours, Katie?
I have used the same recipe by Jeff Smith (PBS), since the early 80's...
Love it...

Ross

Haven't thought about using Italian sausage. I searched for Jeff Smith's recipe and came up with a tomato-based one. Ours was the traditional cream gravy version.

Haven't thought about using Italian sausage. I searched for Jeff Smith's recipe and came up with a tomato-based one. Ours was the traditional cream gravy version.

That sounds like immigrant Italian "gravy," which most of us call "sauce" with meat. Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) does have a recipe for Italian Gravy that is online. He may also have a Southern Sausage and Gravy recipe, but I didn't find one in my very brief search. They are two VERY different things.

CD

Last edited:
It's my book club meeting tonight and the book we read is called "The Bees." So I made a couple of dishes with honey from our hives: baked chicken skewers marinated in honey, soy sauce and olive oil, and honey cake in my honeycomb pan.

That sounds like immigrant Italian "gravy," which most of us call "sauce" with meat. Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) does have a recipe for Italian Gravy that is online. He may also have a Southern Sausage and Gravy recipe, but I didn't find one in my very brief search. They are two VERY different things.

CD

Yes, I'm familiar with the Italian "gravy" since part of my family comes from Sicily.

Didn't come up with his southern version. I have some of his cookbooks and will check there tomorrow...if I remember.:LOL:

Speaking of Italian Gravy, I still have leftover Italian Sausage and Gravy in the fridge, and some good slider rolls, so that was dinner tonight -- Sausage and "gravy" sliders.

This latest batch of sauce turned out great. The oregano, basil and red peppers all came from my garden, minutes before I used them.

CD

Back
Top Bottom