"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
Everymom

Take out chinese tonight. Ken still isn't home, I JUST got home and daughter #1 is picking up daughter #2 at dance. I came home from work and turned around and ran out the door taking #2 to physio and then dance lessons. I hate feeling like I'm doing the hurry up and wait thing when I have a lot to do. I'm too tired to cook now so there will be salt and pepper ribs, BBQ pork chow mein, beef shanghai noodles, diced chicken and almond and chicken fried rice. AHHHHH! Comfort food!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Tonight I experimented with a made up pizza recipe. Handmade 1/2 whole wheat crust; a Mark Bittman recipe. The sauce was canned tomatoes with rosemary and garlic simmered with a splash of red wine. I topped it with sautéed onions & portobello mushrooms, fontina cheese, olives, and rocket.

Overall, pretty good, but the olives killed some of the subtler flavors.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:21 AM   #23
Master Chef

No, it wasn't a special day. A friend of mine has an 89 year old father, and they throw reunions every few years. It is just that, a reunion of people who served together. Many WWII units do that. There are, for obvious reasons, fewer and fewer of them. The special day to look for is 11/11. That is the day we celebrate the living, breathing, wonderful veterans in our lives.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What day is that? My father came out to visit me and didn't even say anything about it being a special day.

My town store's meat counter was loaded with Hormel tenderloins with some kind of apple marinade. No plain ones, but plenty of alreaady marinated tenderloins.
No, it wasn't a special day. A friend was having a WWII reunion and I had them over. As for special days, November 11 (11/11) is the day, and many people treat it as if it is memorial day. No! Support your local living veteran!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

That's nice they have a get together for no special reason like that, Claire.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
Master Chef

We had breakfast sausage, biscuits and over easy eggs.

Tags
cooking