Wednesday Dinner - 8/17/2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finished off the carrot top-tomato-cucumber tabbouleh I made yesterday. Wish I had more carrot tops, it was quite tasty. Mom had a cheeseburger, fries, and a wild blueberry shake, cantaloupe and grapes for dessert. Dad was off at his driver's training to keep his license for another four years. He ate chicken pasta salad and a Swiss cheese sandwich when he got home at 9:00. Kitchen had been closed for hours.

Slow cooker pork roast. First time. It was not good. :neutral:

3858224.jpg

Huh, how strange, and what a bummer, given the recipe had such high ratings. The ingredients sound typical for a pork roast. Maybe save out the cranberry sauce and use it as a condiment later?

Last edited:
Yep, leave out the cranberry sauce. I don't do sweet sauces, so that would be the tip I can give, if you don't care for sweet, just leave it out. I would try this recipe.

I'd do the cranberry sauce as the side too, if at all. That's just too much cranberry for me. I like the idea of the onion soup packet for seasoning though. :)

Maybe you can scrape off some of the topping and re-purpose the roast by warming it back up in the oven, covered, with a little water...?

Yes, it does sound like it's worth saving. Scrape and use, maybe in some fried rice, or soup.

I'd take that recipe in a different direction. I'd probably omit the onion soup mix, use the cranberry sauce, and add a thinly sliced shallot and a cut-up apple or two. A little bread stuffing on the side, some buttered beans - it would be like Thanksgiving in August!

As far as saving the roast you have, I'd scrape everything off the surface, maybe even give it a quick rinse, and then thinly slice the roast and warm it in pork gravy. The Heinz jar gravy is good in a pinch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom