Wednesday Dinner w/ Pictures (10/24)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerseyjay14

Senior Cook
Dinner night again last night for the GF... Decided to go with some soup and a second crack at the Tiramisu. It came out fantastic this time around (thanksAandy M!) as always here are the photos (again I'm not skilled with the camera as you can see). The soup also came out great and the pork went over big with everyone and was really tender... comments/suggestions always appreciated!

Appetizer
Stuffed Baby Eggplant w/Barley

img_499783_0_b00593403b957277067791bb964f6a86.jpg

Soup
Minestrone

img_499783_1_c0afcb7773b83fe3047c3a36d7228b3c.jpg

Meat
Cider Braised Pork

img_499783_2_fc3e3d7a30a3826815e2990ef838d430.jpg

Dessert
Tiramisu

img_499783_3_0c4530872bedc1bcacfe0f4d4454b1a3.jpg

Looks GREAT!

Can you post the recipe for the stuffed eggplant pretty please??

Looks GREAT!

Can you post the recipe for the stuffed eggplant pretty please??

sure thing!

Ingredients:

-2 small or 2 baby eggplants
-1/2 cup dry barley
-2 cups vegetable stock/broth
-1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
-2 tsp garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp gingeroot, grated
-1/2 cup white mushrooms, minced
-1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
-1/4 tsp turmeric

Directions

Bring the barley and broth to a boil in a small pot. cover and reduce to low heat. simmer until barley is tender(about 35 minutes,add more broth if needed). remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350.

Half the eggplants lengthwise, scoop out the flesh leaving just a bit of eggplant and the skin as a shell. Mince the scooped eggplant and set aside. Place the eggplant shells in a greased baking dish, skin side down.

in a saute pan, saute the onion, garlic and ginger root until the onion turns golden brown(6-8 minutes). add the eggplant, mushrooms, lemon zest, curry, turmeric and saute over medium heat until the mushrooms begin to release some moisture (5 minutes).

Drain the barley and add it to the eggplant mixture. add 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and and simmer until reduced (6-8 minutes). brush the eggplant shells with some olive oil and fill in with the mixture. cover with aluminum foil and bake until eggplants are tender (30-40 minutes). remove and top with parsley and some grated parmasean.

Thats it.... you can also substitute lentils for the barley and it turns out just as good. hope you like it.

Everything looks so good, especially that dessert (tiramisu's my favorite!). I'm going to copy and paste your eggplant recipe into the appetizer forum so it's shared with everyone.

Good work! I hope the GF was happy!

Jay:

I'm glad everything came out so good. Looks like a great meal! Nothing wrong with the photos either.

Jay:

I'm glad everything came out so good. Looks like a great meal! Nothing wrong with the photos either.

hey thanks man, your tips/corrections made an enourmous difference in the tiramisu.

lyndalou said:
How about posting the Cider Braised Pork, too? Those pictures are making my mouth water.

Its a pretty quick and easy recipe:

-pork tenderloin(2-3 lbs)
-1 cup flour
-1 cup apple cider
-salt and pepper
-1/4 cup cider vinegar

cut the raw tenderloin into half inch medallions. dredge in flour/salt/pepper and shake off the excess. brown tenderloins on each side... 1-2 minutes in some oil. return all tenderloins to a deep frying pan and add 1 cup of apple cider. get a good simmer and cover for 10 minutes. add the cider vinegar and simmer for another 5 minutes. remove the pork and serve immeditely.

You can add some cornstarch to the left over cider in the pan and make a sauce to drizzle over it but i usually eat the pork as its already very tender and flavorful

Everything looks Deeeeelicious!!!!Thanks for the eggplant recipe.I was getting bored with rice stuffing or onion and garlic stuffing. The barley stuffing is a welcome change.!!

Your dinner looks lovely. Can't wait to make the stuffed eggplant. Thanks for sharing.

Older thread but I'm having fun looking over your menus!! I think I'd like to do a cider reduction with the last of the cider and drizzle over - yum. great simple dish!

Older thread but I'm having fun looking over your menus!! I think I'd like to do a cider reduction with the last of the cider and drizzle over - yum. great simple dish!

thanks, they are alot of fun to make... and apples and pork have always been a favorite combo of mine

Back
Top Bottom