Wednesday, schmendsday...2014-09-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lots of "first time" recipes tonight. I've had this Cooking Light pulled pork recipe on my little kitchen work table for quite a while now, so I decided to cook and pull it yesterday, have it for supper tonight. Winner! Worth every bit of work. Since the lion's share of the work was done, I figured I could make a different-to-us coleslaw, a Napa cabbage version. Meh. This recipe was a one-and-done for us. Opened a can of beans (it can't all be from-scratch all the time). And then the piece de resistance was my initial attempt at from-scratch buttermilk biscuits. Where have you been all my life, you Lovelies? :heart:Calories be damned, I'll make biscuits again. :yum: And again. In fact, I found three recipes want to try, With that just-opened quart of buttermilk calling my name, I think I'll make biscuits two more times this week. I'll also try the two recipes the blogger mentioned in her post. We'll be waddling by the end of the week. :pig:

Attachments

• 2014-09-24 20.31.08.jpg
    2014-09-24 20.31.08.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 157
Tonight's entry in the "Andy eats whatever he wants" challenge is Pancit Bihon Guisado.

It's a Filipino rice noodle dish with Chinese sausage, pork and vegetables. SO does not like the Chinese sausages so I'm making it while she's in FL.
You're a good man, Charlie Brown Andy. I always appreciated the fact that Himself fixed things he liked that I won't eat when I would go out of town. Now he's stuck with me all the time since he doesn't get "those" foods. Fortunately, he's more than satisfied with what I whip up.

My red stuffed peppers were good, but I got lazy and didn't blister the skins first before stuffing. I won't be doing that again because the finished peppers were a little too firm, and lacked flavor. Note to self: shortcuts don't always work well.

Don't know about you Dawg, but I've never been called "cute' in my life.
Should we be offended? :ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Nah. We find it cute that Andy's getting away with stuff, and that he's enjoying himself! Whatever he may be doing. None of our business to ask...

Yummy sounding (and looking!) dishes tonight, as always. Every time I check the daily dinner thread I get some ideas and cravings. :yum:

I had an avocado sprinkled with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming, a deviled egg, and a slice of toasted rye. I'm stuffed. :pig:

andy, the dancin' goils should have been there a few days ago.

umm, does one of your neighbors seem happy but really tired?

we had takeout chinois tonight.

wantaugh soup, young chow fried rice, velvet chicken and broccoli, chicken mei fun, singapore mei fun (i ordered spicy beef chow ho fun but they got it wrong), chicken chow mein, and shrimp in lobster sauce.

My red stuffed peppers were good, but I got lazy and didn't blister the skins first before stuffing. I won't be doing that again because the finished peppers were a little too firm, and lacked flavor. Note to self: shortcuts don't always work well.
I find blanching them first works well.

Two kinds of pot stickers, pork and shrimp. Had filling leftover from last time that's been in the freezer. Got tired of rolling out dough. Made a visit to the Asian Market in the meantime, saw a package of gyoza wrappers so bought them and used them last night. I'll never make dough again. SOOO much easier using the premade wrappers.

I'm too lazy to blanch or blister my peppers.

I cut the raw peppers in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, stuff them with a sloppy meatloaf/meatball mix and put them into a casserole with a tight fitting lid. Before I put them into the oven I drizzle a couple of tablespoons of water and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into the bottom of the casserole dish to create some steam. I bake them at 375 with the lid on for 35 to 45 minutes, remove the lid and let them bake another 10-15 minutes, to brown the tops. Sometimes I top them with cheese during that last few minutes in the oven. :yum:

The cold stuffed peppers are great sliced thin and used for sort of a meatloaf sandwich! :pig:

I find blanching them first works well.

Same here. Kind of. Whenever I make stuffed peppers I steam them for about 7-10 minutes first so they are part way cooked before stuffing them.

I'm too lazy to blanch or blister my peppers.

I cut the raw peppers in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, stuff them with a sloppy meatloaf/meatball mix and put them into a casserole with a tight fitting lid. Before I put them into the oven I drizzle a couple of tablespoons of water and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into the bottom of the casserole dish to create some steam. I bake them at 375 with the lid on for 35 to 45 minutes, remove the lid and let them bake another 10-15 minutes, to brown the tops. Sometimes I top them with cheese during that last few minutes in the oven. :yum:

The cold stuffed peppers are great sliced thin and used for sort of a meatloaf sandwich! :pig:

Thanks to all, but I think the pepper flavor ends up in the water that way.
I normally blister the whole peppers on the gas burner of my stove and then put them in a plastic bag for a few minutes. The black skin comes off with the help of a paper towel. Then I cut them in half length wise keeping the stem intact, trim the inside and stuff. I don't like the pepper skin anyway and they're softened just enough for baking with the filling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom