Wednesday's Dinner (12-17-14)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarsWithLove

Assistant Cook
Since I didn't see a thread about this, I decided to make one.

Tonight's dinner be In n Out, pics to follow!

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I can tell you what I am planning on, but, of course, this is subject to change after a visit to the market.

After all this fish smell discussion, I plan on baking what ever fish looks good at the fish counter, some baked sweet potatoes and something green.

Can a mod come and add today's date to the title? Still getting used to the spaced out keyboard on the iPad.

Can a mod come and add today's date to the title? Still getting used to the spaced out keyboard on the iPad.

Title fixed :)

I am going to a holiday potluck tonight and am making a Pear gingerbread cake

12629-albums389-picture3070.jpg

Bought a whole pork loin last weekend so I'll slice it up for the freezer (roasts and chops) and save out a couple of chops for tonight's dinner along with some arroz amarillio and a veggie.

Changed my mind, going to have subway as a birthday dinner instead. Not really feeling like waiting in long lines.

We are having oyster stew tonight. Well, technically it's oyster and scallop stew. I goofed up when I made my grocery list and ended up getting two half-pints of oysters instead of two pints. So I pulled a bag of bay scallops out of the freezer and tossed them in.

Recipe here: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f56/steve-krolls-oyster-stew-83662.html

img_1402714_0_bbc1cccc87c43f80a498da4297b18084.jpg
I was just looking at your recipe and making my list! The fishmonger is getting a "pot" of shucked oysters, so I figured that's what I'll trade for learning to clean fish this week. I was thinking bacon, scallops and, since the fishmonger has a smoker, throwing some oysters in to smoke to add another layer of flavor. Have you ever added smoked anything or bacon? Is this on your diet???

Simple, quick and tasty - pan fried sea bass fillets (with some tomatoes and fresh sage) in crusty small baguettes, spread with tartare sauce.

Comfort from back home

ZippysChiliandsteamedwhiterice.jpg

Very ucky, rainy, cold, dark, just nasty kinda day here in the middle of the desert...

SO, dinner tonight

Zippy's Chili served a top steamed white rice, diced sweet white onions, shredded cheese and some Diamond Bakery Soda crackers on the side.

This is comfort food for us!
We brought this back, frozen, from Newport Beach (Costa Meas really), along with some other treats from Hawaii.

ALOHA!

Five pound oven rib roast. I have some company coming over this evening. I've done rib roasts in my outdoor cooker but this is the first time using my kitchen oven. Something simple, so I followed the 'fool proof oven rib roast' recipe. :LOL:

I was just looking at your recipe and making my list! The fishmonger is getting a "pot" of shucked oysters, so I figured that's what I'll trade for learning to clean fish this week. I was thinking bacon, scallops and, since the fishmonger has a smoker, throwing some oysters in to smoke to add another layer of flavor. Have you ever added smoked anything or bacon? Is this on your diet???
I haven't smoked anything since the 70s. ;) :LOL:

It works on my diet with a few modifications. For example, I can't use wheat flour as a thickener, so I use a Japanese product called Konjac flour. It has a somewhat high carb count, but it has 10x the thickening power as cornstarch, so you don't have to use near as much. It also has the benefit of naturally lowering blood sugar.

And yes, I have made it with bacon.

It's a good recipe. I hope you like it.

PS - that's a photo from the last time I made it, so I didn't actually eat bread, either.

Last edited:
I haven't smoked anything since the 70s. ;) :LOL:

It works on my diet with a few modifications. For example, I can't use wheat flour as a thickener, so I use a Japanese product called Konjac flour. It has a somewhat high carb count, but it has 10x the thickening power as cornstarch, so you don't have to use near as much. It also has the benefit of naturally lowering blood sugar.

(Oh, and that's a photo from the last time I made it, so I didn't actually eat bread, either)

It's a good recipe. I hope you like it.

Does the Konjac flour change the taste? Where do you buy it?

Well this was the Stuffed Pork Steak with Danish Cheese Potato Cake. Some room for improvement.

Everything sounds great, and I always appreciate the pictures!

We had "clean out the fridge" night with a good bottle of wine as we set up our adorable little micro fiber 3ft. Christmas Tree fresh outa the box from UPS tonight! I was worried it would be less than I expected, but it's just right in this little room with our two computers, a big TV with a double love seat recliner.Now we're set for Christmas.

Left over, over cooked rib roast, packed for Thursday's lunched, branded with my first initials, just for fun. Don't touch my meat!

Thanks,
George

Attachments

• P1070623.JPG
    P1070623.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom