Wednesday's Dinner Table 1/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlechef

Senior Cook
Good morning everyone,

A snow storm dumped about a foot of snow here on Long Island ... schools are closed and my kids are very happy. We'll go out and shovel in a bit and have some hot chocolate when we come in.

I have a lovely pot of split pea soup with ham simmering away on the stove ... that'll be for lunch.

Dinner will be meatloaf (Ina Garten recipe) smashed red potatoes, and sauteed peas with shallots.

A day filled with comfort food it seems ... wishing everyone a happy day:chef:

We got the same storm!! YIKES!!

Not sure what dinner will be.

Probably Flank steak, taters, mushrooms and spinach.

Lots of snow today but not as much as on the coast. Looking to try a recipe for garlic cheddar chicken tonight, will serve over some rice or noodles and a random veggie.

Recipe seems simple, boneless chicken coated in garlic butter then covered in seasoned breadcrumbs (I'll use panko) then baked.

Not much snow here either, maybe 7" of new stuff, but it can wait until tomorrow for me to relocate it. Hopefully it will have tapered off by then so I only need to snowblow once. Still, comfort food here, too. I'm going to make an open face pork sandwich from some leftover smoked pork, mashed potatoes and most likely corn. Maybe even canned corn, to make it a true diner experience, lol.

I am making eggs and sausage (yay, the home made breakfast sausage).

I have bread rising right now for the toast.

I am making eggs and sausage (yay, the home made breakfast sausage).

I have bread rising right now for the toast.

Are you going to the hen house to collect the eggs as well? Yum, a homemade breakfast for dinner. My kind of comfort food.

That said, I have a brisket ready to go and will finish it off with boiled potatoes and carrots (don't have cabbage and we are snowed in here).

We had a food of snow over night and now it is freezing rain. Even with my new yaktracks and cane pick I won't be going out. If DH doesn't get called in to work he may venture to the store but I find this a great time to use up what is in the freezer. I also have the pot of soup on I didn't do yesterday and that is lunch!

Don't get me started about the chickens... :)

LPBeier said:
We had a food of snow over night

Yer eating snow up there? I knew you Canadians were wacky, but that might take the cake. :ROFLMAO:

Not sure what I will have tonight.....leftover potato soup or baked sweet potato will almost certainly be involved. It is one of my "free" nights alone.

Today's Commodity box contained Great Northern Beans. Now I like them, I buy a can occasionally, but I've never been able to get them to cook all the way.

Since it's cold today, I'm just going to put a couple of cups in a pot of water and boil them with nothing added.

It should warm up my apartment nicely, and just maybe I'll get some usable beans.:ohmy:

Well my flank steak has a coating of EVOO, nicely seasoned and waiting to be cooked on the stove-top grill pan. 3 1/2 bags of baby spinach cleaned, chopped and wilted waiting to be squeezed dry. It will be either tossed with butter or "creamed". I will be making taters but unsure in what form at this time. And most likely mushroom caps in some fashion also.

Due to my usual lack of foresight, I didn't defrost the meat early enough for goulash or beef barley soup so we're having BLTs tonight.

Don't get me started about the chickens... :)

Yer eating snow up there? I knew you Canadians were wacky, but that might take the cake. :ROFLMAO:

Hey, give me a little slack there Frank! After all I am working on a small keyboard and until I switched browsers to Firefox I didn't have instant spell check...I really rely on that. Okay, it wouldn't have caught the food instead of foot, but it is my excuse and I am sticking to it :D

Oh, and the foot is now about 5 inches of wet sludge.

:huh: By the way, where are you planning to take that cake?

Last edited:
Chicken Tarragon...we call it.
Green Beans.....
Yellow Squash.........
Recycled Dumplings........
Chocolate Ice Cream.........

UB, have fresh green beans gone sky high there? The size package I usually get was over $5.00 today. We won't be having fresh green beans tonight.:D

Mushroom caps and red onion sautéed in butter and red wine

img_958657_0_31caa198595ad0db28907a43b3f9d124.jpg

Flank steak grilled on stove-top grill pan

img_958657_1_5c8fe1968ac135d7c6831e034c7baf78.jpg

img_958657_2_e8af85189ef796272f25ea6702880c7c.jpg

Mushroom caps and red onion sautéed in butter and red wine, stove-top grilled flank steak, steamed and buttered fresh baby spinach and mashed potatoes.

img_958657_3_2dbc6b96881481154b0b19a1692ef665.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom