Weekend of Jan 9-11, '09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Lets do a dinner together this weekend. I'm thinking pork roast, potatoes, cooked veggie, salad and fresh bread for dinner with a pie for dessert. (Details on specific in a later post)

I'm going to do this on Friday night and will raise a glass to all of you doing the same. Who's with me?

I'm sorry to be such a newb, but does that mean we all fix the same thing and share out? I haven't had a pork roast in ever so long...sounds yummy and I think my family would enjoy that. Do we share recipes and stuff? Like a said: Total newb.:ermm:

HMG - sharing recipes would be awesome! Pics are good too!

I'll make mine on Sunday, as Fridays and Sats I usually don't cook. I'm rather fond of this chipotle/raspberry glazed pork loin from Food TV. I might do a pork tenderloin instead though.

I'm in - on Sunday!

i'm in. but the bread and pie will be made by someone else.

someone who gets paid for it. :cool:

friday will probably be sushi. saturday is a double shift for me, so we're talking sunday.

i've been looking for another standing pork rib roast. that'd be great to do on sunday, in the crock pot with apples, sweet onions, fennel, stock, and fresh sage and thyme from the garden. makes an unbelievable gravy! :pig:

I'm going to do:

Pork roast - dry rub and then roasted slow in the oven. I won't make it pulled pork, so not THAT low and slow.

Potatoes - cubed, tossed with EVOO and some worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, pepper, some salt and likely a dash or two of the dry rub. Roasted in a pan next to the pork roast. Maybe an hour...or an hour and a quarter. I'll see how it goes.

Bread - Ol Blues Honey Butter bread is a hit here so either that one or a loaf of crusty french bread.

Pie - Apple. My pastry recipe, 6 - 8 granny smith apples, peeled and diced, tossed with a couple handfuls (say 1 cup?) of brown sugar and one handful (1/2 cup) of flour, a liberal dusting (2 tbsps?) of cinnamon and dotted with butter. Baked for an hour (before the pork roast goes in) or until the juices bubble up through the slits in the top crust. Served with vanilla ice cream.

Cooked veggie is still up in the air, as is the type of salad. I'm open to suggestions on both.

(I'll find the link to my dry rub recipe and post it later, sorry I can't find it at the moment)

I was thinking a pork roast this weekend myself....
Friday or Saturday.... not sure which.

COOL! Going to join in with the other stuff too? Then it will be like we were eating dinner together.

OK, pork roast is in...smelling delish! I kinda forgot to bake bread though so we'll be having a baguette from the store.

I'll raise my glass to all those of you making the same dinner this weekend.

I took some pork shoulder out of the freezer that someone gave me when Buck died. I'm going to have that on sliced homemade baguette, some potato chips and maybe some applesauce. Still have Christmas sweets for dessert. I'll raise my glass tonight!!

I think I'm in for this on Sunday, when the family is all here. Still thinking about the sides...I'm hankering for roasted asparagus, and roasted fingerlings with lemon zest and lavender salt might be nice. Maybe I can get my son-in-law to make these so-outrageously-good-they-should-be-outlawed cream biscuits with ginger honey. Oh man. I just salivated on my keyboard. How embarrassing.

Pig is pig. I say go for it!

so I'm in..
we'll have a joint already marinating in Red Wine, carrots, celery, garlic, ginger and onions..
as side dish we planned red cabbage and dumplings... and my friend will make the salad...

Oh Cara, that sounds yummy.

OK our pork roast was so tender and delicious we all dived in and devoured it before I remembered to take pictures! Sorry! I raised my glass to friends with us and far away. Love to you all.

Was CERTAIN I'd taken pork out of the freezer. Instead I ended up with "dinner surprise" on Friday. Was Italian roasted leg of lamb I'd put in the freezer. It was delicious, but not what my taste buds had expected. I raised my glass to everyone, too.

Cara, your dinner looked delicious. Bet there wasn't a bite left.

Back
Top Bottom