Weird Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmmmmm....... Mashed tater's on a dog???

This could be a good thing. ;)

I think I might try it sometime.

Same here! I make a pork roast with kraut. The kraut goes on the mashed potatoes, the gravy on the pork!

I learned that one when I became a Beier. My in-laws do that all the time and I love it!

When I was growing up Rice-A-Roni came in a Vermicelli flavour with almonds. I would make it in a skillet, adding canned mushrooms and using the liquid from the mushrooms as part of the water for the rice. I would eat that as my full meal, sometimes the whole box in one sitting! I don't see that flavour any more and don't buy prepared foods but it is a fond memory! :)

When I was in college, one of my roommates thought I was a wonderful cook (??) as I would make Minute Rice with Velveeta. I also made spaghetti sauce with ketchup as the primary ingredient. My weight loss secret back then was a diet of cottage cheese mixed with white raisins, cinnamon, and sugar-free cream soda. It actually wasn't bad.

Nowadays, we do mix and match leftovers too.

I have fond memories of a package of saltines and a stick of butter in front of me lying on my stomach in front of the TV on Saturday mornings watching cartoons. Shave a curl of butter and spread on saltine. Enjoy.
I still do that once in a while. :LOL:

I love to take left over pork, chicken, or even beef (though pork is my favorite) tear it up into pieces and roll it into a warm buttered flour tortilla shell. I don't think it's weird but my boyfriend does.

Butter on saltines...Dad taught us about that in the restaurant when they used to put them on the table before the meal. Kraut on mashed potatoes, yup the others ate them that way...I still won't eat the kraut.

Most of my one off leftovers get made into my bento lunches. But, I like macaroni with tuna and tomato sauce. Kipper snacks and crackers with cream cheese.

When I was little, we used t have popcorn for supper on Sunday nights all of the time. I think it is because we had a big meal mid day.

At our house we have YO YO nights quite often. It means You're on your own. I have been known to eat cottage cheese and potato chips or black beans with corn chips on those nights. :yum:

I have been known to eat cottage cheese and potato chips or black beans with corn chips on those nights. :yum:

Absolutely nothing weird about Ruffles Sour Cream and Onion chips and cottage cheese. :yum: I could eat that every day. And end up weighing 350 pounds. So chips are verboten here.

When I was little, we used t have popcorn for supper on Sunday nights all of the time. I think it is because we had a big meal mid day.

At our house we have YO YO nights quite often. It means You're on your own. I have been known to eat cottage cheese and potato chips or black beans with corn chips on those nights. :yum:

We did the Sunday night popcorn at our house also.

We always had red delicious apples and or concord grape juice with it.

My father liked it in a glass of milk with a teaspoon of sugar sprinkled on it. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

At our house we have YO YO nights quite often. It means You're on your own.

Perfect! I've never heard that phrase before, but its absolutely accurate. "Weird" to me doesn't mean leftovers in any combination. Lets face it, leftovers ROCK.

My weird meals are just things I feel like eating that are really not a meal in any way, shape or form. I love hearing about some of the other weirdness around here. For a bunch of foodies we can eat some pretty strange stuff from time to time.

I am about to confess something that might get me booted off the site forever. Here it is, I loathe and despise mashed potatoes. As I kid if I were forced to eat them they often came right back up. Its a texture thing. My Mom, however, felt they were an important part of my nutritional plan and kept trying to find ways to make me eat them. She tried, sauerkraut, turnip, gravy, cheese, and finally found the one thing that would get me to eat a few tablespoons of mashed potato. Pickles. If she cut the pickle vertically and then piled the mashed potatoes on top of the cut pickle I'd eat them, and *gasp* enjoy them! One pickle limit though.

Still won't eat mashed potatoes often. Blech. But pickles....mmmmmmmm!

Weird food moment of the day. Hummus eaten with peapods again instead of chips. Delish.

Alix, I don't like tapioca pudding because of the texture either. I don't like the little fish-eye type pieces in the pudding. We all have our weird things we eat or don't eat. Cottage cheese has a strange texture, and I love it! Veggies of any kind are great dipped in cottage cheese! Is that weird? :ermm:

I guess it depends who you talk to! Cottage cheese is a no go for me but my DH loves it. I can't even watch him eat it. LOL! However, he can't stand to watch me eat onions and sour cream so we're even I guess.

Cold leftover spaghetti and sauce on a slice of butterd bread is a favorite from when I was kid. The hubby thinks it's weird but he also likes to mix a can of cream of mushroom soup in with mac and cheese (box stuff).

I've been known to heat butter beans and/or kidney beans with corn and peas. Spoonful of peanut butter on the side. Slice of cheese for "dessert".

Another classic "I don't feal like cooking" meal is a bowl of cereal followed by a heated frozen veggie of some sort (brocoli, green beans, asparagus) and a handful of nuts or pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. Maybe a slice of lunch meat rolled around a slice of cheese.

A silce of toasted homemade wholewheat bread topped by a thick layer of homemade sauerkraut and slices of moz. cheese, nuked until the cheese melts. Do the same with homemade salsa (minus the 'kraut) for "mini pizza" for when hungry but don't feel like cooking.

chop, when i was a kid, i couldn't eat peas or corn unless they were mixed into mashed spuds.

i had one of my weird combos at dinner tonight. we went out to a steakhouse after the batting cages, so we promptly raided their huge salad bar.

i put chicken liver pate on raisin/walnut bread. :yum:

oh, i just thought of another one. i like to mix a little blue cheese into dijon mustard and use it as a dipping mustard with breaded chicken cutlets.

When we were kids, the old man one time put leftover sauerkraut on mashed potatoes. My brother and I decided to try it too. I liked it so much that, to this day, I continue to put cold sauerkraut on my mashed spuds instead of butter or gravy.

I don't usually cram weird things together for dinner, but I have been known to eat nuked leftovers for breakfast instead of making something from scratch. Leftover beans and rice is one of my favorite breakfasts.

I always put sauerkraut on my mash, that's not weird! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom