Weird Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Do you ever have one of those days where you don't feel like making any kind of meal? Tonight was one of those nights for us and I laughed at our choices. I thought I'd start a thread so that our weird meal choices could inspire everyone.

Tonight we were going to make pizza but none of us really felt like eating that. So we scrounged. We ended up with:

Bowl of brussel sprouts - tossed with garlic butter and some chiles
Cheesy/Salsa dip with multigrain chips
Hummus
Couple of tortillas and the last slice of deli turkey, salami, and pastrami got made into a quesadilla
Bag of peapods
Dessert was nutella on graham crackers for Bugs, ice cream for Ken. Nada for me yet. I'll think about that later.

Weird.

What kind of weird stuff do you throw together when you don't feel like cooking?

What kind of weird stuff do you throw together when you don't feel like cooking?

uhh, nothing I'd want to post here :ermm:
Heck, sometimes some of my planned meals befall critical scrutiny
:LOL:

We do that frequently .. we call it leftovers. Nothing matches, most people would think it was gross, half of it is cold the other half hot and sometimes multiple plates are involved. But .. the fridge gets cleaned out so it's a good thing !

We have "clean out the fridge" nights here, too. haha And some are way more successful than others. ;)

When we were kids, the old man one time put leftover sauerkraut on mashed potatoes. My brother and I decided to try it too. I liked it so much that, to this day, I continue to put cold sauerkraut on my mashed spuds instead of butter or gravy.

I don't usually cram weird things together for dinner, but I have been known to eat nuked leftovers for breakfast instead of making something from scratch. Leftover beans and rice is one of my favorite breakfasts.

When we were kids, the old man one time put leftover sauerkraut on mashed potatoes. My brother and I decided to try it too. I liked it so much that, to this day, I continue to put cold sauerkraut on my mashed spuds instead of butter or gravy.

I don't usually cram weird things together for dinner, but I have been known to eat nuked leftovers for breakfast instead of making something from scratch. Leftover beans and rice is one of my favorite breakfasts.
I didn't realize that sauerkraut on mashed/baked potato was weird until you mentioned it, Steve. I do the same, but I add a splash of hot sauce on top of the sauerkraut after I've mashed the sauerkraut into the potatoes.

steve, one dinner my wife makes that i love is kielbasi baked with kraut and onions, and a side of mashed potatoes. i eat the kielbasi separately, and the kraut gets mushed together with the mashed potatoes. yum.

Ice cold Boston Baked Beans. I keep the can in the fridge. I don't like them heated up. No ketchup, no doctoring, just plain right out of the can. :angel:

steve, one dinner my wife makes that i love is kielbasi baked with kraut and onions, and a side of mashed potatoes. i eat the kielbasi separately, and the kraut gets mushed together with the mashed potatoes. yum.

The leftover mashed potato and kraut makes great fried potato cakes for breakfast! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Serve with some leftover fried kielbasa, chunky applesauce, eggs and rye toast dripping with butter!

Same here! I make a pork roast with kraut. The kraut goes on the mashed potatoes, the gravy on the pork!

I guess my weird meal is a spoonful of Smucker's natural peanut butter and a glass of skim milk eaten over the kitchen sink.

A quiet little spot by the water! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Okay, when we were kids, our dinner, which was a treat and we only got this when our parents went out, was spinach (the only canned vegetable my mother bought besides corn), hard boiled eggs, sardines, and saltine crackers. I still like spinach (fresh or frozen) with eggs and saltine crackers, but HATE the texture of sardines. I substitute pickled herring instead. Wonder what the babysitter thought...

Last edited:
And here I thought sauerkraut and mashed potatoes was a weird Kroll family tradition. After seeing how many here do the same thing, it's now seeming pretty normal. :)

Last edited:
This one isn't really weird but it is something we do when we don't know what else to have or are too lazy to cook even if we did. We buy those thin crust Dr. Oetker frozen Pizzas. Usually the roasted vegetable one. Bake it so it isn't too crispy on the bottom. Then I take it out, cut it in half and lay a bunch of sandwich ingredients on top of one half and then place the other half, cheese side down on top to make a panini type sandwich. When you cut this in half it makes two nice sized triangular sandwiches.

The pizzas are nice and thin so it makes a great sandwich filled with roasted veggies, your chosen fillings and melted cheese on both sides, that isn't all bread dough...

Last edited:
Kraut and mashed tater's is a tradition on the Thanksgiving table here.
Don't forget the peas because they mix in well too. :yum:

"Ice cold Boston Baked Beans. I keep the can in the fridge. I don't like them heated up. No ketchup, no doctoring, just plain right out of the can"

I like them straight out of the can too.
It's one less dish to wash. ;)
But I like them room temperature over refrigerated.
Sometimes I'll toss in some chopped onion and a touch of mustard.

My "Weird meals" tend to be cleaning the fridge/to lazy to cook meals.

Let's see....... The other night I had.
A couple slices of leftover pizza.
Some leftover Fried cabbage & bacon.
Corn chips & hot salsa.
To top it off a Snickers bar. :(

Yes I have an iron stomach and the fridge is much cleaner. :)

I have fond memories of a package of saltines and a stick of butter in front of me lying on my stomach in front of the TV on Saturday mornings watching cartoons. Shave a curl of butter and spread on saltine. Enjoy.

One time a friend and I were hungry and she decided to make ice cream floats. Got the ice cream in the glasses, no soda pop. Only thing her mom had was grapefruit juice which she proceeded to pour over the ice cream. Decided that wasn't quite the flavor she wanted so she added Hershey's chocolate syrup. Can't believe we drank that stuff! Mine didn't stay down long.

Kraut and mashed were quite common in my household as well. The only time I don't do mashed and kraut is when I put the kraut on a dog!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom