What are some of your favorite aromas/smells?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rofl, aruzinsky. actually, it really stinks, especially when it's turned over. i add a lot of apples from my tree to it, so it gets really bad. but, in a way, yes, i love the smell, cause i know what it will become... kinda like the tanks in a beer brewery...

Re: Where I've been...

thier1754 said:
Just been so busy putting together a new section for the website and doing some political things here and there for the elections. But mostly just lots of website work, which I should finish by the end of this week and will post. Then I think I'll be ready for a break. Unfortunately, the holiday season is coming, so the break will have to be in January!

I've missed you guys! What did I miss that I should catch up on? How is everybody?

Hi thier1754.
Dampcharcoal is gone. Tancowgirl is... I don't know- she must not love us anymore. With that said, I don't get into much trouble anymore.
Sushi is still here. So is Barbara, Alix, Dove, Kyles, Kitchenelf (obviously!), and Marge.
The foodnetwork people have moved in. I welcome them. I was one of them once. They are good people (for the most part). This site has exploded. It isn't the same. Wish we could start a sticky thread for the old family.
Great ta hear from you thier1754. How is your online store doing?
Good luck, take care, Mark.

i was reading back in time today, wondering what happened to all of the site's original inhabitants. i hope the flood of immigrants hasn't pushed anyone away. while i'm from a different site than most, i still came to ellis island on the same ships, if you will. is there anything we can do to make things better or easier for all of the original colonists?

aruzinsky said:
When rain begins to wet dry concrete sidewalks, driveways, etc., it gives off an aroma that I like. This is particularly strong after many hot, dry days. Anyone else notice this?

Kind of a wet, dusty smell? I've been able to smell rain coming since I was a kid. In fact, once, I was out-and-about, and smelled that same damp/dusty smell, but also a smell not unlike that of a freezer (this was in January back in OK). I wondered if I had just smelled snow coming? Sure enough, an hour later, it was snowing, and pretty heavily at that. I've never smelled snow since. I know I've read references to the old-time mountain men that could smell snow coming.

AllenMI said:
aruzinsky said:
When rain begins to wet dry concrete sidewalks, driveways, etc., it gives off an aroma that I like. This is particularly strong after many hot, dry days. Anyone else notice this?

Kind of a wet, dusty smell? I've been able to smell rain coming since I was a kid. In fact, once, I was out-and-about, and smelled that same damp/dusty smell, but also a smell not unlike that of a freezer (this was in January back in OK). I wondered if I had just smelled snow coming? Sure enough, an hour later, it was snowing, and pretty heavily at that. I've never smelled snow since. I know I've read references to the old-time mountain men that could smell snow coming.

I don't know how to describe it. It comes from concrete, maybe, also brick mortar. If it rains in the country, there is no such smell. It must also be after a long, hot, dry period, not cold winter. If it rains one day, dries, and then rains on the next day, there is no such smell with the second rain. Of course, this odor mixes with other rain smells so you have to pay attention to notice it. This odor is released just as the sidewalks begin to wet. Works with a garden hose too.

Back
Top Bottom