What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally got the Swedish Almond Cake in the oven. My recipe is a standard one.

Sliced almonds, cooking spray or oil
1-1/4 c sugar
1 stick butter, melted (to which I add 3 tsp fresh lemon juice--my grandma's addition)
2/3 c milk
1-1/2 tsp almond extract
grated zest of one lemon
1/2 tsp cardamon (I use the seeds that come in the white pods)
1/4 c ground whole almonds (the brown ones--my grandma's addition)
1-1/4 c flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder

1. Spray the pan and sprinkle with almonds.
2. Combine sugar, milk, egg, almond extract, and zest in a bowl.
3. Add the ground almonds, baking powder, and cardamon to the flour.
4. Blend that in, add the melted butter to which the lemon juice is added (I let it cool for about 5-10 minutes before doing that).
5. Pour into the pan (I start at one end and finish at the other), bake on the middle rack at 350 for 45-50 minutes. The cake HAS to pull away from the pan. You MUST let it cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a plate (I can't FIND the special plate on which the cake fits perfectly...it is stashed away here somewhere...). If you let it sit in the pan too long, it won't come out. If you take it out too soon, it breaks. I tend to twist my pan to get it out. And, I spray the pan liberally with cooking spray or rub well with oil before putting the sliced almonds in the bottom. To serve, you slice in the indent of the pan (that is you are using the pan that is made for this cake). If you are using another pan, cut it anyway you want <g>. I think my aunt used to double this recipe and bake it in an angel food or Bundt pan--I'll ask her when I see her in May. Always with the almonds put in the bottom of the pan and the cake flipped (an upside-down almond cake). I find it is better the next day--especially the chocolate version. I'll have some pics later if I can figure out what I'm going to flip it onto...maybe just a cutting board.
I ended up flipping it onto a cutting board and serving individual slices. Here are the pics (all the ingredients, the batter in the pan, the cake before serving, and a slice with a drizzle of lingonberry sauce, a dollop of yogurt [no whipping cream in the house], shaved almonds on top). As usual, it was a hit. I mentioned to my Dad I'd made it when he called, now I'm on the hook to make it next time I visit (hopefully we can find my mom's pan... and I don't have to go out and buy another one).

Attachments

• Easter 040.jpg
    Easter 040.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Easter 044.jpg
    Easter 044.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Easter 045.jpg
    Easter 045.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Easter 050.jpg
    Easter 050.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 158
I ended up flipping it onto a cutting board and serving individual slices. Here are the pics (all the ingredients, the batter in the pan, the cake before serving, and a slice with a drizzle of lingonberry sauce, a dollop of yogurt [no whipping cream in the house], shaved almonds on top). As usual, it was a hit. I mentioned to my Dad I'd made it when he called, now I'm on the hook to make it next time I visit (hopefully we can find my mom's pan... and I don't have to go out and buy another one).

I need to give this cake a try!

I also like that pan!

I would like a similar pan to make yeast breads, it would help the slicing impaired among us! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

TL makes a similar recipe--different proportions of the ingredients--and uses an 8" x 8" pan. I imagine one could make this in muffin tins...not sure about using the pan for bread. You'd have to oil it very well and the loaf would be "squat" because it isn't a very high pan. The pan is actually made in Germany, not Sweden. Not sure what it is used for in Germany...I'll have to ask my German friends. I have only seen the pan on line or in Ace Hardware Stores or Scandinavian shops in MN. Mind you, I haven't looked elsewhere becasuse I've had my pan forever--it was one of the things I wanted of my grandmother's.

My birthday is coming up this week and I was craving german chocolate cake, the ones in the grocery stores are pretty sad, usually just a chocolate layer cake with some coconut pecan icing plopped on top, so I made it myself. 4 layers of fudgy cake and 4 layers of coconut pecan icing, with buttercream on the sides. The buttercream was a last minute addition.

German.JPG

My birthday is coming up this week and I was craving german chocolate cake, the ones in the grocery stores are pretty sad, usually just a chocolate layer cake with some coconut pecan icing plopped on top, so I made it myself. 4 layers of fudgy cake and 4 layers of coconut pecan icing, with buttercream on the sides. The buttercream was a last minute addition.

Dang, Bakechef, I wanna come to your birthday party! :yum: :yum:

Nice stuff, all!

German.JPG

Okay for MY birthday...I want one just like that! Think you could make me one BC?

German.JPG

Yummmmmm !!

Hey bake .. my birthday is this week too .. you got enough for both of us??

That looks beyond delicious .. very nice !!!

Banana cupcakes. The company I work for has come out with 28 new icings, and I have a whole bunch of 2 ounce sample jars of the flavours, IMHO, go with banana cake. I am also planning on making one big cupcake filled with banana cream and frosted with banana icing. Yes, I have an abundance of overripe bananas.

I also got a bottle of Kirsch syrup so next on my list is a Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte

Last edited:

German.JPG

Protofessional bakeries have an implement to create those lines on the side of the cake. I used a fork once to get the same effect. Worked great. You just have to have a steady hand. :angel:

Protofessional bakeries have an implement to create those lines on the side of the cake. I used a fork once to get the same effect. Worked great. You just have to have a steady hand. :angel:

I use the same comb that I use at work, it cost a couple dollars, and I like how it dresses up the cakes.

this is the one that I have.

61a8bKrBg%2BL._SL1410_.jpg

I use this one if I want straight sides, I don't use the notched sides.

61BO46NIRjL._SL1315_.jpg

I have seen those combs before. If I am ordering something else, I will order that also. I don't want to be paying shipping for a lone item. But you gave me an idea. I have several hair combs that are still in their packaging and have not been opened yet. I could take one of them and use it. :angel:

German.JPG

Looks fabulous! :chef:

I'm baking a sugar-free crust-less pumpkin pie today as well as some frosted chocolate cookies for the guys. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom