What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delicious or what...be there soon...well okay, in 24 hours, have that kettle on for me too thanks ;)

Although after such a long flight, maybe a bottle of wine he he

Yep! Forget the tea - get the glasses out for the wine! (I am rather partial to Australian wine as it happens - so could you bring some with you?) ;)

That is genius!

Good find Ads ;)

Kylie, our hot dog rolls are quite different from the rest of the country. There are restaurants way over on the west coast and a lot in between that have bakeries here send them daily shipments of our rolls so they can make an authentic lobster roll. If you look at the picture, the only crust is on the top. The sides are bare. You butter them and then toast them on the grill. The toasting adds another layer of flavor. The slit is also at the top. Others across the country the slit is on the side. That make it more difficult to keep the fixings inside the bun. And they have way more crust to them. Not very friendly to toasting. :angel:

Last edited:
Kylie, our hot dog rolls are quite different from the rest of the country....

Addie my dear, those aren't unique to New England. I used to buy Nickles Split-Top hot dog buns back in OH. Nickles started in Navarre OH in 1909. On my Dad's (the Bread Truck Driver) day off he, Mom, and I would take a ride to Amish Country to go to the Nickles bakery in Navarre to visit their "stale store"...but Dad always managed to wrangle the fresh ones. ;) Now when we visit our kids back home we can drive to Navarre from our daughter's place to Nickles in under half an hour, then on to the Amish butcher for smoked pork chops, and on to the cheese shop for Baby Swiss... Oh, I'm getting the munchies! :ermm:

Kylie, our hot dog rolls are quite different from the rest of the country. There are restaurants way over on the west coast and a lot in between that have bakeries here send them daily shipments of our rolls so they can make an authentic lobster roll. If you look at the picture, the only crust is on the top. The sides are bare. You butter them and then toast them on the grill. The toasting adds another layer of flavor. The slit is also at the top. Others across the country the slit is on the side. That make it more difficult to keep the fixings inside the bun. And they have way more crust to them. Not very friendly to toasting. :angel:

I like the sound of them Ads :)

Addie my dear, those aren't unique to New England. I used to buy Nickles Split-Top hot dog buns back in OH. Nickles started in Navarre OH in 1909. On my Dad's (the Bread Truck Driver) day off he, Mom, and I would take a ride to Amish Country to go to the Nickles bakery in Navarre to visit their "stale store"...but Dad always managed to wrangle the fresh ones. ;) Now when we visit our kids back home we can drive to Navarre from our daughter's place to Nickles in under half an hour, then on to the Amish butcher for smoked pork chops, and on to the cheese shop for Baby Swiss... Oh, I'm getting the munchies! :ermm:

They should be called the eastern hot dog bun. They aren't readily found west of the Mississippi. Sooner or later they will discover what they are missing and change over. When avid die hard baseball fans would follow their team from the west coast to Fenway, the buns were warm but not toasted. But little by little the word is spreading. And so will the Eastern Bun.

I can't imagine having a lobster roll in anything else. We have a place right near where I live called The Belle Isle Seafood Restaurant. Their roll cost $25.00 and worth every cent. It has been found to be the biggest roll that is served in the U.S. Some places only use the claw, some just the tail. The BI uses both and you get big chunks. The original recipe. Lobster, mayo and diced celery. Mostly Lobster. :angel:

Trust me civilization has come west across the Mississippi, we haven't had an Indian attack for at least the last two years and the stagecoach lines are now bringing fresh bread, even "proper" hot dog buns, to us poor hicks. We even have some of that new-fangled stuff called 'lectricity.

Last edited:
:LOL: We can get split top buns here too, directly west of the Mississippi (actually, almost IN the Mississippi). They bring 'em in on the pole raft.

Last edited:
Trust me civilization has come west across the Mississippi, we haven't had an Indian attack for at least the last two years and the stagecoach lines are now bringing fresh bread, even "proper" hot dog buns, to us poor hicks. We even have some of that new-fangled stuff called 'lectricity.

We don't even have to climb the pole any more to make a phone call!

Well I know my people here in the East were once the most fear tribe in the Algonquin Nation. They were head hunters. I believe the missionaries put a stop to that, but I am not sure. We were so feared that the Big White Chief and all his friends granted us back our land and with a very large sum of money also.

I had visions of you making those buns over a campfire while on the trail. We have a road over in the next village. The white folks call it Second Street. We call it Buckboard Boulevard. Just one big pothole. Not a good place to make a trail.

Well, I have to get ready for the buffalo hunt. Nice talking to you Kemosabe. :angel:

"New England Style" hotdog buns aren't easy to find here. We have some "top sliced" buns made by Pepperidge Farm but they aren't the same, they don't have the surface area on sides for proper toasting.

I have heard from one of my customers that another store carries the real ones under their private label and they are the real thing.

IMG_3961.jpg

These are the pepperidge farm that are available, they are very soft and tasty, but not quite right. I happened to have some in the fridge.

IMG_20130725_181840.jpg

Last edited:
bakechef, those have a rounded end. Our have a square end. And the crust doesn't go down and around the end. :angel:

"New England Style" hotdog buns aren't easy to find here. We have some "top sliced" buns made by Pepperidge Farm but they aren't the same, they don't have the surface area on sides for proper toasting.

I have heard from one of my customers that another store carries the real ones under their private label and they are the real thing.

IMG_3961.jpg

These are the pepperidge farm that are available, they are very soft and tasty, but not quite right. I happened to have some in the fridge.

The picture of those hot dogs with the toasted buns remind me of the lunch counter at Krege's or W T Grants years ago.

All they need is some chips and a pickle! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Hey folks, now you all can have a taste of New England right in your own kitchen. Great for making those lobster rolls as well has holding your favorite hot dog.

Shop USA Pan Nonstick New England Hot Dog Bun Pan at CHEFS.

:angel:

I had one of those in my hand when I made a visit to King Arthur's store until I realized 10 buns would be too many for me and wife.
Any idea how to partition off to make 1/2 a batch?

Back
Top Bottom