What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So bakechef, are you making the cake at home and then transporting it to Maine or are you going to make it up there? Either way, we all want to see it.

BTW, what is the date of the wedding? This is like waiting for the overdue baby to arrive. We are all waiting. :angel:

I am making the cake up there, I'm mailing my supplies this week. We are flying.

The wedding is on the 24th we fly out 2 weeks from tomorrow! Holy crap :LOL:

I am making the cake up there, I'm mailing my supplies this week. We are flying.

The wedding is on the 24th we fly out 2 weeks from tomorrow! Holy crap :LOL:

Thought you might like to know that RI finally recognized same sex marriages this past week. Now all of New England is on board. YEA!

Good luck and don't forget the pics. :angel:

Reduce your recipe by half. Then only use as many of the slots for the buns as you need. But make one extra. That will be your throw away one. The outside of that one will be complete with crust. And you don't want that. :angel:

Thank you Addie. Never thought about that.

Second attempt at making Wheat Thins today.
The first time they were OK but lacking something. Looking at the
ingredients on the box it had malt syrup. Never did find any syrup
but I did get malt power from a homemade beer store.

What a difference in the taste. They came out perfect this time.

1 1/4 cups (5 oz) whole wheat flour (I used hard ground wheat flour)
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for topping
¼ teaspoon turmeric and 1/4 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter

dissolve:
1/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon malt powder.

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

dissolve:
1/4 cup water

What fun to figure out the missing ingredient, and have them turn out so well!

Nice recipe, thanks Boracay!

Cheers for the recipe :)

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

dissolve:
1/4 cup water

We are going to make a large custard tart from scratch tomorrow :yum:

Kylie, Do you ever make Manchester style custard tarts. They have a thin layer of raspberry jam spread over the crust before the custard filling is poured in and sometimes a top crust is added. My Mother used to make them with strawberry jam. A baked custard pie or cup custard is one of my all time favorite desserts. When we were little we always had cup custards when we were sick, a real comfort food! :yum:

Kylie, Do you ever make Manchester style custard tarts. They have a thin layer of raspberry jam spread over the crust before the custard filling is poured in and sometimes a top crust is added. My Mother used to make them with strawberry jam. A baked custard pie or cup custard is one of my all time favorite desserts. When we were little we always had cup custards when we were sick, a real comfort food! :yum:

I havent Bea...but one recipe I did find does do a layer of strawberry jam on the base and I thought that sounded lovely :)

I too loved baked custard tarts...I have always bought them, this will be my fist attempt at making one, I hope I have found a good recipe :)

I havent Bea...but one recipe I did find does do a layer of strawberry jam on the base and I thought that sounded lovely :)

I too loved baked custard tarts...I have always bought them, this will be my fist attempt at making one, I hope I have found a good recipe :)

All of the recipes are about the same. I believe the trick to a perfect custard is to remove it before it overcooks and breaks or becomes watery. That comes with practice. Practice is not a bad thing when it comes to pies! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks Bea :)

I have noticed a big variance in the amount of eggs and yolks that are used in all the different recipes

The recipe I have, only has one egg yolk, which I thought was not much considering it is egg custard and yet other recipes had up to 9 eggs :ohmy:

Thanks Bea :)

I have noticed a big variance in the amount of eggs and yolks that are used in all the different recipes

The recipe I have, only has one egg yolk, which I thought was not much considering it is egg custard and yet other recipes had up to 9 eggs :ohmy:

This is the recipe I use. It is an old recipe that makes a basic pie, nothing fancy.

Grammy’s Custard Pie
4 eggs slightly beaten
¼ t salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ T almond extract
½ t vanilla extract
2 T soft or melted butter (you can melt the butter while heating the milk)
3 cups scalded milk
Nutmeg to taste

1 Unbaked pie crust

Combine all ingredients and pour into prepared crust and sprinkle with additional nutmeg.

Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Notes:

½ cup of coconut can be added to this basic mixture.

I usually do this using a blender and heat the milk in the microwave.

All of the recipes are about the same. I believe the trick to a perfect custard is to remove it before it overcooks and breaks or becomes watery. That comes with practice. Practice is not a bad thing when it comes to pies! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yes! Cook just until it no longer sloshes and jiggles like jello and you'll have a melt in your mouth smooth custard. Slow and gentle!

You just focus on that wedding Mister!

Have you decided what you are going to feed us at the reception! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

My sister is coordinating the food and mom is paying for it! I should know tomorrow what they came up with. Small lobster rolls are one definite item on the menu! I wish that I liked lobster, but the guests should be happy!

If this was more in my control, I'd have it all planned out, but I'm going to let my sister handle it, and not stress about it!

2 Weeks from tomorrow!!!!:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom