What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm curious, too, Bea. I recently made a new recipe for skinny brownies with just chocolate cake mix and a can of plain pumpkin -- no oil, eggs, or added sugar. Of course there's some kind of sweetener in the cake mix, but the end result (I made it into small cupcakes) was pretty good -- not too sweet. Not as hard to resist snitching the extras from the freezer.

I think the brownie recipe is low fat/high fiber rather than low sugar, which is still a good thing. When I make pumpkin pie my filling is always shorted a little because I like to eat the pumpkin straight from the can. After I add the sugar and spice and everything nice it no longer appeals to me.

All normal people put butter on banana bread.

Well, then, I'm related to a lot of abnormal people...but I already knew that! My BIL asked his wife why she puts butter on nut bread because there's so much butter in it to begin with. She just said "Try it!" He did, and now he eats butter on it!

Last edited:
I also find it easier to live with low sugar foods.

In the interest of science, I had a sliver of the sugar free pumpkin pie after it had chilled in the refrigerator and the spices mingled with the filling, I didn't miss the sugar at all with that piece.

Maybe I'll dedicate my life to scientific research! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Unless you grow your own over here pumpkins are only available at hallowe'en and are tasteless and woolly and only fit for lanterns so I thank my lucky stars that I discovered Libby's canned pumpkin puree. It goes into so many things both sweet and savoury.

Im going to be making chocolate peanut butter torte Yummy An Oreo crust (again), a peanut butter mousse with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips, all topped with a chocolate ganache and chopped peanuts. Totally adore this recipe.

Ordered some Bakewell Cream, I forgot to buy it while I was home, of course.

Not sure how this ingredient fell off my radar for so many years. These started as just about a 1/2 inch dough circles, and this was the result, following the recipe on the can and baking instructions.

Bakewell+biscuits.JPG

With some blackberry compote made by my mom's cousin in Maine.
blackberry+compote.JPG

Please to share recipe?

BTW Bakewell Cream is Disodium pyrophosphate. It comes in a "baking powder" version as well that includes baking soda. It is exactly the same ingredients as Argo baking powder.

For some odd reason all the grocery stores I've visited so far carry only aluminum based baking powder. Quite discouraging. Not so much as a can of Rumford, which has been around for decades at least. I can get almost 5 lbs of the Argo at Sam's Club - but what the heck would I do with that much baking powder????

Please to share recipe?

BTW Bakewell Cream is Disodium pyrophosphate. It comes in a "baking powder" version as well that includes baking soda. It is exactly the same ingredients as Argo baking powder.

For some odd reason all the grocery stores I've visited so far carry only aluminum based baking powder. Quite discouraging. Not so much as a can of Rumford, which has been around for decades at least. I can get almost 5 lbs of the Argo at Sam's Club - but what the heck would I do with that much baking powder????

I used the recipe from the can of bakewell cream! Made no changes to it.

I have always liked butter on my banana or nut bread, but others in my family don't understand it. Who else puts butter on it?

What else is there !!

Yep .. butter and sometimes add a sprinkle of cinnamon, but before anything else - butter !!

Today it was cranberry orange quick bread.

And yep .. there will be butter to top it !!

Right after bacon, what else is there to live for but butter! Butter on everything! I am looking forward to my baked sweet potato loaded with butter! :angel:

All normal people put butter on banana bread.
Good thing I've never claimed to be normal. ;)

I have never met anyone who puts butter on any quick desert bread. I've never even heard of anyone doing that. Maybe it's a regional thing ...
I don't know if it's regional or not. I've lived in both NE Ohio and south-central MA. The only time I ever ever put butter on a slice of quick bread is if the bread has become dry. Then a slight warming and a little schmear of butter to moisten. Hmm Kitchen Barbarian, could it be that when you or I make a quick bread it's moist and when others bake it.....:whistling :LOL:

Just kidding guys!

Good thing I've never claimed to be normal.

I don't know if it's regional or not. I've lived in both NE Ohio and south-central MA. The only time I ever ever put butter on a slice of quick bread is if the bread has become dry. Then a slight warming and a little schmear of butter to moisten. Hmm Kitchen Barbarian, could it be that when you or I make a quick bread it's moist and when others bake it.....:whistling :LOL:

Just kidding guys!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good thing I've never claimed to be normal. ;)

Just kidding guys!

You better be kidding!!! I have live in SW Pa for 60 of my 67 years. I never saw anyone else put butter on quick breads but did it because it appealed to me. It was only after my SIL mentioned it that I realized that anyone else did it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom