What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be baking butter cookies, though I'll have plenty leftover dough to freeze.

Though I do really want to get the task of defrosting the freezer done, before I make a start on thinking about x-mas

AWK!!! Yes, my freezer needs a clean out before I start Holiday Food shopping...thanks for the reminder.

I just put a butter pecan-rum cake in the oven and it's already smelling sooooo good. It's a big bundt cake and should, with any luck, last us through next week.

Now I can check that off my list of today's planned tasks.:yum:

I just put a butter pecan-rum cake in the oven and it's already smelling sooooo good. It's a big bundt cake and should, with any luck, last us through next week.

Now I can check that off my list of today's planned tasks.:yum:

Is there a recipe, Katie? Sound like something Shrek would like for his birthday or any day...

The November Church Fair is coming up. I have for the past few years been making small individual Pumpkin Bread. They sell real fast. But I would like to span out this year. I am thinking of Pumpkin Cookies. Package them in lots of 12 and wrap with plastic wrap and tied with a bow at the gathered end. Will have to have Spike pick up about four small pumpkins after Halloween. They really drop in price then. Knowing him, he will tell me to buy the cans and be happy. Or he will suggest buying one big one instead of four small ones. Men! Grrrr! (Sorry guys. Not you. You know the difference between the small and big ones.) :angel:

It's something I took off a Betty Crocker cake mix box a long time ago.

Here is the ingredients list:

1 box butter pecan cake mix
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup dark rum, or 2 tsp. rum extract (I used rum.)
4 eggs

It's pretty easy. All you have to do is whisk the cake mix and pudding together and add the rest of the ingredients. I was lazy and nuked the butter to get it soft enough to whisk with the eggs sour cream, water and rum, then added that to the dry stuff. I beat it all for about a couple of minutes.

I poured, well kind of spread, the batter into a greased and floured bundt pan and baked it for about 48 minutes in a preheated 325F oven. The recipe says it can bake anywhere from 46 to 52 minutes, but I have a cast aluminum Nordicware pan and I usually split the difference on the cooking time with most recipes.

The recipe asks you to finish the cake by making a glaze of a portion of canned vanilla frosting, which I can't abide, and mix it with some rum, then drizzle the cake and sprinkle chopped pecans over all.

I don't do that.

I just make a simple glaze of powdered sugar, pinch of salt, some rum to the consistency I desire, then drizzle. About a 1/4 cup of toasted chopped pecans goes over the glaze before it sets.

Pretty good and quite simple

Last edited:
AWK!!! Yes, my freezer needs a clean out before I start Holiday Food shopping...thanks for the reminder.

TBF you should have seen my freezer last year. No way in hell to get any drawers opened, as it was pure ice. (mum hadn't defrosted it for years & years). So all the food had to be thrown, plus side an empty freezer ready for x-mas.

Did it today, 2hrs from unplugging to re-plugging.

Now to plan for x-mas, as I'm voluntering to do this year's dinner :ohmy: (yes I know I'm mad)

TBF you should have seen my freezer last year. No way in hell to get any drawers opened, as it was pure ice. (mum hadn't defrosted it for years & years). So all the food had to be thrown, plus side an empty freezer ready for x-mas.

Did it today, 2hrs from unplugging to re-plugging.

Now to plan for x-mas, as I'm voluntering to do this year's dinner :ohmy: (yes I know I'm mad)

I haven't seen a fridge in eons that had to be defrosted. I don't even think they sell them in this country anymore. :angel:

I haven't seen a fridge in eons that had to be defrosted. I don't even think they sell them in this country anymore. :angel:

We have a small chest freezer, 6 c ft, that has to be defrosted. It's about 30 years old. We bought it so I could stock up on meat. Our original refrigerator had a freezer that was so small, if I wanted to buy ice cream, I couldn't buy any meat. LOL It was big enough for a half gallon of ice cream and 2 ice cube trays. The freezer didn't even have a separate door. You opened the big refrigerator door and there was this tiny freezer inside. I still keep extra frozen food in it even though our current refrigerator has a huge freezer. Right before Christmas it is filled with cookies I have baked all through December. After Christmas it's empty again.

You never see a refrigerator/Freezer combination that has to be defrosted anymore. However, a dedicated freezer, either upright or chest type should not be a frost free type. The defrosting cycle degrades the quality of the frozen foods and promotes freezer burn.

My little chest freezer is in dire need of defrosting. And apparently my fairly new fridge with bottom drawer freezer could use it too, I can hardly get the drawer open, and there's a lot of frost.

yeah, my chest freezer that's about 5 years old, isn't frost free, haven't yet defrosted it, maybe the next time it gets really low. Luckily the frost buildup isn't excessive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom