What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuit mix and I shall try this tonight. I hope they are as good as those in the restaurant!

With love,
~Cat

I didn't know there was a mix for them. A while back I made them from a copycat recipe I had and they were good.

I Baked for the first time some open face cheese Danishes, though they were Russian, yesterday. Tasted good. Why do I always have the picks upside down?
I also baked some bagels and rye bread, but bread did not comeout right. :(

Look delicious! Recipe?

I Baked for the first time some open face cheese Danishes, though they were Russian, yesterday. Tasted good. Why do I always have the picks upside down?
I also baked some bagels and rye bread, but bread did not comeout right. :(

Oh, the picture is upside down? I was going to ask why your Danish was stuck to the wall!

The Bitten Word: Thanksgiving 2011: Salted Caramel Six-Layer Chocolate Cake

hopefully the link works.
My bride loves a good chocolate layer cake. I don't know how to make one. So I thought I would give this a try. Never made a cake before today. Cakes seemed to have turned out OK, the caramel may just be a tad over cooked but still good and I didn't use all the frosting since neither of us likes a lot of frosting on a cake. The actual assembly was quite entertaining. Slicing a cake round in half was challenging, one even came out right. Since the halves aren't really even the slices wanted to slide around a bit on the soft caramel. A small assortment of bamboo skewers is holding the final product in a more or less vertical position. Will be trying it after dinner.

The Bitten Word: Thanksgiving 2011: Salted Caramel Six-Layer Chocolate Cake

hopefully the link works.
My bride loves a good chocolate layer cake. I don't know how to make one. So I thought I would give this a try. Never made a cake before today. Cakes seemed to have turned out OK, the caramel may just be a tad over cooked but still good and I didn't use all the frosting since neither of us likes a lot of frosting on a cake. The actual assembly was quite entertaining. Slicing a cake round in half was challenging, one even came out right. Since the halves aren't really even the slices wanted to slide around a bit on the soft caramel. A small assortment of bamboo skewers is holding the final product in a more or less vertical position. Will be trying it after dinner.

How to cut a cake with floss - YouTube

You did very good. Put the cake in the fridge and once the frosting get cold, the layers will stop sliding. :angel:

Working on my French bread extravaganza. I'm about ready to prepare loaves #7 and #8 of today's goal of 12. Looks like I set a reasonable challenge for myself.

Have been utilizing both my bread machines to do the kneading and to complete the first rise before I shape the loaves and set them to the final rise.

My only glitch is that I have only one baguette pan, but I've staggered things appropriately so that's not a problem. Just took a little while to establish my rhythm.

I'm havin' fun, have a great audio book playing and the house smells divine.

You did very good. Put the cake in the fridge and once the frosting get cold, the layers will stop sliding. :angel:

Worked a champ, thanks Addie
Did not get to the trying the cake until yesterday. I don't think we let it warm enough after taking it in from the travel trailer (convenient cool storage this time of year). It was good but not quite what we expected.
Since a six layer cake is a bit much for the two of us my bride took the cake to work, setting it up in 'public' area of the lunch room. She seems to think all it needed was to warm up a little more since there was constant stream of 'Oh wow' coming from the lunch room and many people making multiple trips to get 'just a little more cake'. We have a little more here at home for tonight so I'll find out how it is after warming up more.
Gosh, baking may be more enjoyable than cooking.

I need to translate the recipe into English. The site I got this from used to have English, but for some reason it is not there anymore. I'll try to do it quick, though I cannot promise, very busy nowadays.

Worked a champ, thanks Addie
Did not get to the trying the cake until yesterday. I don't think we let it warm enough after taking it in from the travel trailer (convenient cool storage this time of year). It was good but not quite what we expected.
Since a six layer cake is a bit much for the two of us my bride took the cake to work, setting it up in 'public' area of the lunch room. She seems to think all it needed was to warm up a little more since there was constant stream of 'Oh wow' coming from the lunch room and many people making multiple trips to get 'just a little more cake'. We have a little more here at home for tonight so I'll find out how it is after warming up more.
Gosh, baking may be more enjoyable than cooking.

You're welcome.

I have always know that about baking. Who doesn't like dessert? :angel:

We were busy today. Made a lemon cake for the nurses and 2 cake pans of brownies for my buddies at dialysis and the nurses boy am I pooped.
kades

Still continuing the French bread odyssey. Delivered 20 loaves to my friend yesterday and learned that 32 have been requested, so I still have a dozen to go to keep up.

Right now numbers 5 and 6 are about to get ready for their final rise. If I pace myself and continue with the rhythm I've established I should get those 12 done today.

Tomorrow I'll do at least that many and, perhaps, a few more on Sunday and Monday because he'll be stopping by on either Monday or Tuesday morning on his way to the university to pick up what is done. I'd like to be able to hand over at least 30 then.

The race will end on Thanksgiving.:LOL::rolleyes:

Howdy do bakers! :chef:
I'm surprised as you that I'm here, as my oven is used exclusively for savory cooking and have never made a loaf of bread. I love sweets and very rarely bake, but I came across an interesting recipe for your review as I'm crazy about cranberries.

No Crust Cranberry Pie

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease one 9 inch pie pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat.
Stir in the butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. If you are using frozen cranberries, the mixture will be very thick.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Has anyone made this?

cinnamon rolls this morning. Cheated though, some time in the past my wife bought a couple boxes of some Pillsbury 'Hot Rolls' mix, add hot water, egg and butter. Had a variation for the cinnamon rolls. Forgot to add sugar to the mix, oh well. Learned a few things. 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile. 3) Just because you can fit just a little more in the pan doesn't mean you should.
First time working with a yeast dough other than a bread machine, was a good learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom