What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SO started her Holiday baking today with about 12 dozen anise cookies. She has an aggressive list of goodies.

cinnamon rolls this morning. Cheated though, some time in the past my wife bought a couple boxes of some Pillsbury 'Hot Rolls' mix, add hot water, egg and butter. Had a variation for the cinnamon rolls. Forgot to add sugar to the mix, oh well. Learned a few things. 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile. 3) Just because you can fit just a little more in the pan doesn't mean you should.
First time working with a yeast dough other than a bread machine, was a good learning experience.

Can I make a few suggestions?

1. Mise en place is very important. That means you get out all the ingredients you will need before you start, to make sure you have everything and you have enough of everything. I line up my ingredients on the left side of my counter in the order I will need them for the recipe and move them to the right as I use them. Sometimes, if there are two or more ingredients that go in at the same time, I put them together in a dish so I can add them at the same time.

2. Many doughs work best when they're kept cold, so many bakers have a slab of marble on which they roll out dough; the weight should help prevent it from moving around so much. A granite countertop serves the same purpose. If you have a stoneyard near you, you might be able to get a marble slab inexpensively. They're also sold in kitchen stores.

3. I keep a piece of cabinet liner under my wooden cutting board to prevent it from moving around on the granite counters.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
cinnamon rolls this morning. Cheated though, some time in the past my wife bought a couple boxes of some Pillsbury 'Hot Rolls' mix, add hot water, egg and butter. Had a variation for the cinnamon rolls. Forgot to add sugar to the mix, oh well. Learned a few things. 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile. 3) Just because you can fit just a little more in the pan doesn't mean you should.
First time working with a yeast dough other than a bread machine, was a good learning experience.

Next time put a wet cloth under the board and it will reduce all the moving on you. :angel:

... 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile...

I bought a cheap roll of the rubberized shelf liner and cut it to fit under cutting boards. Those boards never move.

If yo have a counter top, you don't need to knead on a cutting board. Just flour the counter top and use that. That's what I do.

We have a problem with counter clutter at the moment so I opted for the cutting board. Funny about the Mise en place, I can't hardly cook anything without doing so and I had gotten everything out but totally spaced on the sugar. Felt good to wake the bride up with a warm cinnamon roll, I think she enjoyed it as well.

We have a problem with counter clutter at the moment so I opted for the cutting board. Funny about the Mise en place, I can't hardly cook anything without doing so and I had gotten everything out but totally spaced on the sugar. Felt good to wake the bride up with a warm cinnamon roll, I think she enjoyed it as well.

I bet she did! I would love it if DH did that!

Howdy do bakers! :chef:
I'm surprised as you that I'm here, as my oven is used exclusively for savory cooking and have never made a loaf of bread. I love sweets and very rarely bake, but I came across an interesting recipe for your review as I'm crazy about cranberries.

No Crust Cranberry Pie

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease one 9 inch pie pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat.
Stir in the butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. If you are using frozen cranberries, the mixture will be very thick.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Has anyone made this?

We had unexpected visitors yesterday and since I had all the ingredients on hand I tested the recipe on them. It turned out nicely, but it's not what I would call a pie although it certainly was easy. The can of Redi Whip came in handy.

Made sweet potato pie today. I have only tried the store bought ones and they just taste like pumpkin pie. I've been told by some passionate people that it shouldn't be compared to pumpkin pie, so I'm giving it a shot! :)

The sweet potato pie was pretty fantastic! Yes there are some similarities to pumpkin pie, but I think that I may like this one a bit better! The texture was a bit less wet, it was spiced a bit different too. I'll definitely make this again!

SG1L0077.JPG

We had unexpected visitors yesterday and since I had all the ingredients on hand I tested the recipe on them. It turned out nicely, but it's not what I would call a pie although it certainly was easy. The can of Redi Whip came in handy.

As a kid, we used to go down to the bog, grab a handful of cranberries and then take a comb out of the hive, peel back the wax and fill our mouth with honey. Cranberries are very sour. Did you find that to be so with this recipe? :angel:

As a kid, we used to go down to the bog, grab a handful of cranberries and then take a comb out of the hive, peel back the wax and fill our mouth with honey. Cranberries are very sour. Did you find that to be so with this recipe? :angel:

No, this recipe had just the right amount of sweet/sour Addie, and I'll make it again. That sounds like a lovely memory. :)

No, this recipe had just the right amount of sweet/sour Addie, and I'll make it again. That sounds like a lovely memory. :)

I wonder how this recipe would work with dried cranberries. They have a natural sweetness when they are dried and require much less sugar. :angel:

I guess it could work with dried cranberries Addie, but the fresh ones were sure pretty and juicy. I really like to use dried cranberries for lots of things but this wouldn't be one of them.

SO make a couple of pumpkin cake rolls. These are delicious and a much loved dessert in our family in the Fall.

debating about trying to make some bread, again. Three attempts so far but haven't been able to get any activity out of the yeast, no rising happening. Played with the water temp the last time and no luck. I am thinking I will try and get the yeast active and then continue, one bag of flour is just about gone in my attempts.

Back
Top Bottom