What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds lovely SB :yum:

Could I please have your recipe, if that is OK?

Steve loves rhubarb in pies and he loves custard, so this sounds perfect!

Firing up the bread machine to make some whole wheat pita bread.

I would often separate the pita bread, cut into slices, fry them up quickly and then sprinkle them with powder sugar in a brown bag. Put them in a basket with a bread cloth and leave on the table for the kids as an after school snack. They never lasted long.

Also when I was part of the working world, I often bought my lunch in a pita bread rather than a roll or in a wrap. :angel:

I have the house to myself today so it's going to be pumpernickle bread and popovers as a surprise for DH.:yum:
kades

That sounds lovely SB :yum:

Could I please have your recipe, if that is OK?

Steve loves rhubarb in pies and he loves custard, so this sounds perfect!
The ruhbarb custard pies are made from my mom's church group in Minnesota. They make them & sell them to be baked. Next week mom will be living with us for awhile after she gets out of the hospital. I will get the recipie to you next week if you like.

Dh made 2 beautiful looking pies at work today. 1 cocnut cream & 1 lemon merenge.

The ruhbarb custard pies are made from my mom's church group in Minnesota. They make them & sell them to be baked. Next week mom will be living with us for awhile after she gets out of the hospital. I will get the recipie to you next week if you like.
One of my roommates in grad school used to make a rhubarb custard pie. She was French so I had to translate her recipe. I have made this a few times since and it works:

Ingredients:

2 pie crusts (top and bottom)
2-1/2 c rhubarb, chopped
1-1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
a pinch of salt
2 T butter

Glaze
1-2 T milk
1-2 tsp sugar

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients, except the crusts, in the order given.
2. Pile the ingredients in the bottom crust.
3. Top with the 2nd crust.
4. Cut vents in the top crust.
5. Glaze with milk and a sprinkle of sugar.
6. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 minutes.

Notes:

1. Put a cookie sheet on the rack below the pie to catch any drips.
2. Let cool before slicing (it is still best warm, but let it sit until warm--30-40 minutes).

Last edited:

That would be lovely, thank you and your mum so much xxx

Hope your mum is OK :)

I made some lovely wholewheat pita bread yesterday.

1 c buttermilk
1 egg
2 tsp Agava syrup
1/2 c grated carrot
1/2 grated jalapeno pepper
3 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Kosher salt
1-1/2 T yeast
4 T butter

Directions:

1. Put overything in the pan in the order listed. Make a well in the center, put the yeast there. Put the butter pats in each corner of bread pan.
2. Set to dough cycle.
3. Knead for an addition 5-7 minutes on a floured surface.
4. Divide into 10 equal pieces. Roll to 6-8 inch circles.
5. Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes.
6. In a preheated 425 oven, bake on a greased cookie sheet for 7-8 minutes (they puff).
7. Remove from oven and put in a brown paper bag--seal bag.

Last edited:
2 loaves of sourdough bread. It smells wonderful and I can hardly wait to try it.
kades

Used a Braun 650 combimax to prep a dough from 1.5 cups of water, 1 1/2 tsp dry yeast, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp diastatic malt and 2.5 ounces each whole wheat and durum, and 10 ounces high gluten bread flour for the baking of two 10+ ounces loaves of bread tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Nothing too exotic. Just moved to make biscuits. This is the third time I've used my latest recipe and they turned out perfect...again. Yeah!!!

Is there anything better than perfection? Too a while and a lot of tries, but you made it. :angel: And one for your angel like biscuits! :angel:

Sounds good CWS, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

I made some lovely wholewheat pita bread yesterday.

1 c buttermilk
1 egg
2 tsp Agava syrup
1/2 c grated carrot
1/2 grated jalapeno pepper
3 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp Kosher salt
1-1/2 T yeast
4 T butter

Directions:

1. Put overything in the pan in the order listed. Make a well in the center, put the yeast there. Put the butter pats in each corner of bread pan.
2. Set to dough cycle.
3. Knead for an addition 5-7 minutes on a floured surface.
4. Divide into 10 equal pieces. Roll to 6-8 inch circles.
5. Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes.
6. In a preheated 425 oven, bake on a greased cookie sheet for 7-8 minutes (they puff).
7. Remove from oven and put in a brown paper bag--seal bag.

Sounds good CWS, thanks for sharing the recipe :)
It works for me, but I'm really not good about recipes that I make on the fliy re: the bread machine because I more or less toss the ingredients in, if the dough is too dry when it is mixing in the bread machine, add more liquid. If too wet, add more flour and when the dough is ready, I add more flour when I'm kneading it, but the pitas work for me every time. I think the secret is the brown paper bag :LOL:. I've used oil instead of the butter, but that is added before the flour goes in since my bread machine instructions are to put the wet ingredients in the pan first.

Back
Top Bottom