"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #601
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My sister is coordinating the food and mom is paying for it! I should know tomorrow what they came up with. Small lobster rolls are one definite item on the menu! I wish that I liked lobster, but the guests should be happy!

If this was more in my control, I'd have it all planned out, but I'm going to let my sister handle it, and not stress about it!

2 Weeks from tomorrow!!!!
You'll stress!
I wish we could all join you via webcam, can't wait for the pictures!

We will all be thinking about you on your special day!
__________________

__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #602
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
You'll stress!
I wish we could all join you via webcam, can't wait for the pictures!

We will all be thinking about you on your special day!
Oh I'll find something to stress about!

I'll definitely pop in to give you all an update on the progress. Maybe I'll just start a thread!
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #603
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Oh I'll find something to stress about!

I'll definitely pop in to give you all an update on the progress. Maybe I'll just start a thread!
Yes, we do need a thread!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #604
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Thank you for sharing this recipe Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This is the recipe I use. It is an old recipe that makes a basic pie, nothing fancy.

Grammy’s Custard Pie
4 eggs slightly beaten
¼ t salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ T almond extract
½ t vanilla extract
2 T soft or melted butter (you can melt the butter while heating the milk)
3 cups scalded milk
Nutmeg to taste

1 Unbaked pie crust

Combine all ingredients and pour into prepared crust and sprinkle with additional nutmeg.

Bake at 450 degrees F for 10 minutes and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Notes:

½ cup of coconut can be added to this basic mixture.

I usually do this using a blender and heat the milk in the microwave.
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #605
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yes! Cook just until it no longer sloshes and jiggles like jello and you'll have a melt in your mouth smooth custard. Slow and gentle!
Thanks BC
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #606
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
My sister is coordinating the food and mom is paying for it! I should know tomorrow what they came up with. Small lobster rolls are one definite item on the menu! I wish that I liked lobster, but the guests should be happy!

If this was more in my control, I'd have it all planned out, but I'm going to let my sister handle it, and not stress about it!

2 Weeks from tomorrow!!!!
Your sister probably wants to handle it as a gift to you--nice of you to let her do that. I would love to do that for my brother. And, just send me the address and I'll be there to eat all the leftover lobster rolls! And, give mom a big hug and kiss for paying for the food. Can't wait to see the pictures!
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #607
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Oh I'll find something to stress about!

I'll definitely pop in to give you all an update on the progress. Maybe I'll just start a thread!
Just please refrain from updating DURING the wedding! Two weeks...just perfect for a nervous breakdown. Nah, kidding. Relax, everything will be fine. And if it doesn't go as planned, who's to know? It's not like you're handing each guest a play-by-play script of the day, right?
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #608
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I want to make Flora's Peach Cream Pie...

Flora B's Peach Cream Pie--TNT 100 years

Ontario peaches are ripe...I have a busy weekend planned, so probably won't do it this weekend, but will pick up the peaches mid-week and make it next weekend.
CW, that recipe looks very good, and very rich!

My Mom taught me to make the most delightful, light peach pie. Bake an empty shell. Peel and slice your fresh peaches and set aside. Make a glaze for the peaches with water/sugar/corn starch and a couple peach pits to add color. Mom would then put the peaches into the shell and pour the glaze over them. I put the glaze over the peaches in a bowl, then use a slotted spoon to lift them from the glaze. When done filling the shell, top with freshly whipped cream and enjoy.

This was dessert for Father's Day for years. When we moved and it was just the two of us I kinda stopped making it. Now I want it - think I'll make a small pie of it soon.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #609
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Your sister probably wants to handle it as a gift to you--nice of you to let her do that. I would love to do that for my brother. And, just send me the address and I'll be there to eat all the leftover lobster rolls! And, give mom a big hug and kiss for paying for the food. Can't wait to see the pictures!
My sis has very little money, having her do this is better than any gift she could have ever bought! I'm very grateful.

My mom is so excited that she could burst! You bet that she'll get a big thank you!
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #610
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Just please refrain from updating DURING the wedding! Two weeks...just perfect for a nervous breakdown. Nah, kidding. Relax, everything will be fine. And if it doesn't go as planned, who's to know? It's not like you're handing each guest a play-by-play script of the day, right?
I'm still calm, for now...
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.