"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #681
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have always liked butter on my banana or nut bread, but others in my family don't understand it. Who else puts butter on it?

All normal people put butter on banana bread.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #682
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm curious, too, Bea. I recently made a new recipe for skinny brownies with just chocolate cake mix and a can of plain pumpkin -- no oil, eggs, or added sugar. Of course there's some kind of sweetener in the cake mix, but the end result (I made it into small cupcakes) was pretty good -- not too sweet. Not as hard to resist snitching the extras from the freezer.

I think the brownie recipe is low fat/high fiber rather than low sugar, which is still a good thing. When I make pumpkin pie my filling is always shorted a little because I like to eat the pumpkin straight from the can. After I add the sugar and spice and everything nice it no longer appeals to me.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #683
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Everyone I know puts butter on banana bread

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #684
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Well, then, I'm related to a lot of abnormal people...but I already knew that! My BIL asked his wife why she puts butter on nut bread because there's so much butter in it to begin with. She just said "Try it!" He did, and now he eats butter on it!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #685
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I also find it easier to live with low sugar foods.

In the interest of science, I had a sliver of the sugar free pumpkin pie after it had chilled in the refrigerator and the spices mingled with the filling, I didn't miss the sugar at all with that piece.

Maybe I'll dedicate my life to scientific research!
Unless you grow your own over here pumpkins are only available at hallowe'en and are tasteless and woolly and only fit for lanterns so I thank my lucky stars that I discovered Libby's canned pumpkin puree. It goes into so many things both sweet and savoury.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #686
Assistant Cook

Im going to be making chocolate peanut butter torte Yummy An Oreo crust (again), a peanut butter mousse with chopped peanuts and chocolate chips, all topped with a chocolate ganache and chopped peanuts. Totally adore this recipe.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #687
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Ordered some Bakewell Cream, I forgot to buy it while I was home, of course.

Not sure how this ingredient fell off my radar for so many years. These started as just about a 1/2 inch dough circles, and this was the result, following the recipe on the can and baking instructions.

With some blackberry compote made by my mom's cousin in Maine.
Please to share recipe?

BTW Bakewell Cream is Disodium pyrophosphate. It comes in a "baking powder" version as well that includes baking soda. It is exactly the same ingredients as Argo baking powder.

For some odd reason all the grocery stores I've visited so far carry only aluminum based baking powder. Quite discouraging. Not so much as a can of Rumford, which has been around for decades at least. I can get almost 5 lbs of the Argo at Sam's Club - but what the heck would I do with that much baking powder????
Old 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #688
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Everyone I know puts butter on banana bread
I have never met anyone who puts butter on any quick desert bread. I've never even heard of anyone doing that. Maybe it's a regional thing ...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #689
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Barbarian View Post

Please to share recipe?

BTW Bakewell Cream is Disodium pyrophosphate. It comes in a "baking powder" version as well that includes baking soda. It is exactly the same ingredients as Argo baking powder.

For some odd reason all the grocery stores I've visited so far carry only aluminum based baking powder. Quite discouraging. Not so much as a can of Rumford, which has been around for decades at least. I can get almost 5 lbs of the Argo at Sam's Club - but what the heck would I do with that much baking powder????
I used the recipe from the can of bakewell cream! Made no changes to it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #690
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have always liked butter on my banana or nut bread, but others in my family don't understand it. Who else puts butter on it?
What else is there !!

Yep .. butter and sometimes add a sprinkle of cinnamon, but before anything else - butter !!