"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #731
Head Chef

Funnily enough I made a banana loaf today!

The good news is it came out pretty well. I was using a recipe that called for "cup" measurements so it was a chance to test out the new set of measuring cups I treated myself to a few weeks ago.

The not quite so good news is that I was trying to multitask (and don't have a stand-alone food mixer). Here is what happened when a (very cheap) spoon met the (apparently formidable) mixer attachments of my ancient but trusty Moulinex hand blender!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spoon.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	18855  

Old 10-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #732
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO just baked a batch of banana nut muffins using Audeo's recipe. They are fantastic. I had five for breakfast.

Just as a reminder, a loaf pan is not big enough for this recipe. You need a loaf pan plus one or two mini pans. It will also make 30 regular-sized muffins.
I am sure SO got the message that they were good, but did you tell her so? A funny thing about us females. Sometimes we need to 'hear' the words.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #733
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Funnily enough I made a banana loaf today!

The good news is it came out pretty well. I was using a recipe that called for "cup" measurements so it was a chance to test out the new set of measuring cups I treated myself to a few weeks ago.

The not quite so good news is that I was trying to multitask (and don't have a stand-alone food mixer). Here is what happened when a (very cheap) spoon met the (apparently formidable) mixer attachments of my ancient but trusty Moulinex hand blender!
That is funny! I think we have all done stupid things in the kitchen. Things you hide from your spouse. Or you will never live it down.

Step right up folks! We are having bent spoon bread tonight.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #734
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That is funny! I think we have all done stupid things in the kitchen. Things you hide from your spouse. Or you will never live it down.

Step right up folks! We are having bent spoon bread tonight.
I know Addie! I am just amazed that my hand mixer survived and went right on mixing after I untangled the spoon from it's grip!

Bent Spoon Bread - love it!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #735
Head Chef

I baked this for the upteenth time with some tweaks:
Streusel Topped Triple Berry Coffee Cake Recipe - Food.com - 47953
Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #736
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Tonight we'll definitely finish the butter pecan rum cake so, this morning, I baked a walnut caramel pie. The recipe is one I've had for eons and have needed an excuse to make. I had a one commercially-made pie crust in the refrigerator that needed to be used up. That was all the encouragement I needed and got busy.

The pie's done and it promises to be excellent. I would say it's sort of like traditional pecan pie, but using a good quantity of toasted walnuts. However, the base is caramel, made by caramelizing sugar, adding cream, yada, yada, yada. The bottom of the partially-baked crust is coated with a thin layer of semi-sweet chocolate, with the rest of the called-for chocolate drizzled on the top after the pie is cool. Can't wait.

I'm thinking I'll add bourbon or rum next time, but wait to see after we taste it....tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #737
Executive Chef

I planned on trying Audeo's banana bread today but I just went over the recipe and I need to get some buttermilk. If not today, tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #738
Everymom

CarolPa, just use soured milk. I've made that recipe and it works fine for it.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #739
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
CarolPa, just use soured milk. I've made that recipe and it works fine for it.

I've done that before with other cakes, but right now I only have skim milk in the house and want a richer taste to the cake.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #740
Everymom

Got yogurt or sour cream? And all I ever use is 1% milk. No issue with flavor at all. Its a great recipe.