"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #801
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never used ripe bananas before, they were always on the black side, so we'll see how how freezing them intensifies the flavor.
Thanks
I still don't see how that will prevent fruit flies though...I've done all the traps before, both storebought and homemade, and it just seems to me the more fresh fruit you have in your house the more chance of fruit flies coming in with it.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #802
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've never used ripe bananas before, they were always on the black side, so we'll see how how freezing them intensifies the flavor.
Thanks
I still don't see how that will prevent fruit flies though...I've done all the traps before, both storebought and homemade, and it just seems to me the more fresh fruit you have in your house the more chance of fruit flies coming in with it.
It's not the freezing that intensifies the flavor - it's letting them ripen till they're turning brown with black spots.
I'm sure bringing fresh fruit in the house does increase the chance of having fruit flies, but it's worth it to me to have the fruit.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #803
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not the freezing that intensifies the flavor - it's letting them ripen till they're turning brown with black spots.
I'm sure bringing fresh fruit in the house does increase the chance of having fruit flies, but it's worth it to me to have the fruit.
Have to agree. Those flies are rather on the skinny side. Almost anorexic. They don't eat much.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #804
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well this whole conversation was king of moot then
Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #805
Certified Pretend Chef

No need to peel before freezing but bag them as they will leak liquid during a frost-free cycle.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #806
Certified Pretend Chef

I guess it all depends on when the flies appear. I like bananas that are barely ripe, just past green. If a banana is yellow with brown spots, I'm not interested. Frozen bananas will turn black in the freezer.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #807
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I guess it all depends on when the flies appear. I like bananas that are barely ripe, just past green. If a banana is yellow with brown spots, I'm not interested. Frozen bananas will turn black in the freezer.
I like bananas just a little more ripe than you, just yellow. I'll eat some with cereal, then make the rest (three) into banana nut bread after they have started to turn mushy. By then I have noticed the flies. The little buggers drive me nuts.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #808
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

I like bananas just a little more ripe than you, just yellow. I'll eat some with cereal, then make the rest (three) into banana nut bread after they have started to turn mushy. By then I have noticed the flies. The little buggers drive me nuts.
We always wash bananas the minute we get them home, that seems to really put a damper on the fruit fly population. I just rinse them under running water, but maybe using a drop of dishsoap would even be better. My theory is that's how FFs seem to get in, on bananas, all our other fruit is refrigerated.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #809
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree about the flies. If they appear before the brown spots, you are SOL.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #810
Chef Extraordinaire

My store only sells green ones. You have to let the sit and ripen at home. Think I will try the washing idea. Sounds like a winner.