"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #841
Certified Pretend Chef

SO started her Holiday baking today with about 12 dozen anise cookies. She has an aggressive list of goodies.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #842
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
cinnamon rolls this morning. Cheated though, some time in the past my wife bought a couple boxes of some Pillsbury 'Hot Rolls' mix, add hot water, egg and butter. Had a variation for the cinnamon rolls. Forgot to add sugar to the mix, oh well. Learned a few things. 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile. 3) Just because you can fit just a little more in the pan doesn't mean you should.
First time working with a yeast dough other than a bread machine, was a good learning experience.
Can I make a few suggestions?

1. Mise en place is very important. That means you get out all the ingredients you will need before you start, to make sure you have everything and you have enough of everything. I line up my ingredients on the left side of my counter in the order I will need them for the recipe and move them to the right as I use them. Sometimes, if there are two or more ingredients that go in at the same time, I put them together in a dish so I can add them at the same time.

2. Many doughs work best when they're kept cold, so many bakers have a slab of marble on which they roll out dough; the weight should help prevent it from moving around so much. A granite countertop serves the same purpose. If you have a stoneyard near you, you might be able to get a marble slab inexpensively. They're also sold in kitchen stores.

3. I keep a piece of cabinet liner under my wooden cutting board to prevent it from moving around on the granite counters.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #843
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
cinnamon rolls this morning. Cheated though, some time in the past my wife bought a couple boxes of some Pillsbury 'Hot Rolls' mix, add hot water, egg and butter. Had a variation for the cinnamon rolls. Forgot to add sugar to the mix, oh well. Learned a few things. 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile. 3) Just because you can fit just a little more in the pan doesn't mean you should.
First time working with a yeast dough other than a bread machine, was a good learning experience.
Next time put a wet cloth under the board and it will reduce all the moving on you.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #844
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
... 1) Kneading dough on a small cutting board is nearly futile and noisy, ended up kneading with one hand and holding the board down with the other. 2) Rolling out dough on the same small cutting board is nearly as futile...
I bought a cheap roll of the rubberized shelf liner and cut it to fit under cutting boards. Those boards never move.

If yo have a counter top, you don't need to knead on a cutting board. Just flour the counter top and use that. That's what I do.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #845
Cook

We have a problem with counter clutter at the moment so I opted for the cutting board. Funny about the Mise en place, I can't hardly cook anything without doing so and I had gotten everything out but totally spaced on the sugar. Felt good to wake the bride up with a warm cinnamon roll, I think she enjoyed it as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #846
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We have a problem with counter clutter at the moment so I opted for the cutting board. Funny about the Mise en place, I can't hardly cook anything without doing so and I had gotten everything out but totally spaced on the sugar. Felt good to wake the bride up with a warm cinnamon roll, I think she enjoyed it as well.
I bet she did! I would love it if DH did that!
Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #847
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Howdy do bakers!
I'm surprised as you that I'm here, as my oven is used exclusively for savory cooking and have never made a loaf of bread. I love sweets and very rarely bake, but I came across an interesting recipe for your review as I'm crazy about cranberries.

No Crust Cranberry Pie

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease one 9 inch pie pan.
Combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
Stir in the cranberries and the walnuts, and toss to coat.
Stir in the butter, beaten eggs, and almond extract. If you are using frozen cranberries, the mixture will be very thick.
Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Has anyone made this?
We had unexpected visitors yesterday and since I had all the ingredients on hand I tested the recipe on them. It turned out nicely, but it's not what I would call a pie although it certainly was easy. The can of Redi Whip came in handy.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #848
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Still in the "French bread zone," but got a little later start today. I'll only get 10 loaves done. No biggie. I'm within about 8 to reach the orders already placed. I'll easily take care of those tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #849
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Made sweet potato pie today. I have only tried the store bought ones and they just taste like pumpkin pie. I've been told by some passionate people that it shouldn't be compared to pumpkin pie, so I'm giving it a shot!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #850
Certified Pretend Chef

This afternoon, SO made five dozen pecan cookie balls. These are a new favorite of mine.