"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #861
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, yesterday's 10 loaves of French bread brought my count up to 72, which gives me a little pad. Although, I imagine there'll be some last minute orders before Monday and Tuesday delivery days.

So, today I baked for............us.

I used my French bread recipe but instead of making two baguettes, I made one baguette and shaped the other portion of dough into a big round dome-shaped loaf. Slashed it as usual and washed it in egg white just like the baguette. Turned out lovely and, as Glenn mentioned, it will be great to slice for sandwiches.

It feels a little weird not doing my assembly line dough prep, etc. and the kitchen looks nearly naked without all the tools of the trade out on the counters.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #862
Chef Extraordinaire

That's quite a project, Katie! Good job! What are you marathon baking for Christmas? ;-)

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #863
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Okay, yesterday's 10 loaves of French bread brought my count up to 72, which gives me a little pad. Although, I imagine there'll be some last minute orders before Monday and Tuesday delivery days...

Brava, Katie. That's a huge commitment of time and effort to benefit others.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #864
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Brava, Katie. That's a huge commitment of time and effort to benefit others.
I've really enjoyed doing it, Andy. There are quite a few other folks cooking/baking a variety of other things and, as of yesterday, the students have raised nearly $1500 to use for some special things they want to see/do while in England.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #865
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
debating about trying to make some bread, again. Three attempts so far but haven't been able to get any activity out of the yeast, no rising happening. Played with the water temp the last time and no luck. I am thinking I will try and get the yeast active and then continue, one bag of flour is just about gone in my attempts.

My mother could make yeast sing and dance, but I have never been successful with it.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #866
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
debating about trying to make some bread, again. Three attempts so far but haven't been able to get any activity out of the yeast, no rising happening. Played with the water temp the last time and no luck. I am thinking I will try and get the yeast active and then continue, one bag of flour is just about gone in my attempts.

Keep trying. When you get it right it's a very satisfying feeling.

The only real issue with water temperature is if it's too hot. Room temp water works. It just takes a little longer for the yeast to bloom. What kind of yeast are you using? Yeast has an expiration date.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #867
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Keep trying. When you get it right it's a very satisfying feeling.

The only real issue with water temperature is if it's too hot. Room temp water works. It just takes a little longer for the yeast to bloom. What kind of yeast are you using? Yeast has an expiration date.
Used red star for first 3 attempts, tried flieshmans (spelling) today. Both just purchased and checked the dates and both had several months left. Today I did let the yeast bloom in warm water with a little sugar added, looked good but then as I was mixing I realized my next bag of flour was self-rising so I had a sloppy mix that wasn't going to be anything. But I left it be and it did rise so I counted it as a success. The water here is particularly nasty, may sneak up 'the hill' and get some from my parents since their water is some of the best anyone has had - almost sweet. More flour tomorrow and another attempt. This time I will be patient and wait for things to get active.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #868
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've lived in many different areas and some of them had pretty icky water. As a result, I keep gallon bottles of spring water to use when I make yeast breads/rolls. I checked this week and see that Wal-Mart had gallon jugs of spring water for less than a dollar.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #869
Chef Extraordinaire

just finished baking 24 muffins for the nurses. Made cream cheese muffins with cut up dried apples, apricots, raisins in them hope they taste good.
Tomorrow brownies which I plan to cover one end with melted chocolate then put a lollypop stick in the other end so we can hold them as we eat them.
kades
Old 11-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #870
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They sound good, Ma!