"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #871
Cook

Finally tried the 'no knead' method. Eight hours later I actually have a bowl of something that looks like I think it should. Going to do some errands and yhen we'll see what happens. Yahoo!!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #872
Chef Extraordinaire

The Pirate spend the night with me. I was thinking of baking a small pie for him. But he won't let me stand too long to do anything useful. I love being waited on hand and foot, but feel useless. I need to get into my kitchen so I can stand at my oven and bake.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #873
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
Finally tried the 'no knead' method. Eight hours later I actually have a bowl of something that looks like I think it should. Going to do some errands and yhen we'll see what happens. Yahoo!!

You are making me want to try my hand at bread making, even though I should not be eating bread. We had nothing but home made bread growing up and my mother just had the knack of working with yeast. The only time it didn't turn out right is the time she forgot to put the salt in it. It was terrible, but we had to eat it. Now I make sure than I put out all my ingredients before I start baking, and put each one away as I use it. That way I can't get mixed up about what I've used or not used.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #874
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Since I seem to have a gazillion egg yolks left from using the whites to wash 72 loaves of French bread, I decided to make a pie.

Our dessert dome on the counter is empty and it looks lonesome. I just finished making Emeril's Best Ever Coconut Cream Pie. Holy cow! The custard was fabulous, then I added the vanilla (I use paste.) and the coconut. I darn near jumped into the bowl.

This pie doesn't require a meringue, which was perfect for using a bunch of the yolks. My sweetheart is going to be a very happy man when I serve dessert tonight.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #875
Cook

My first successful loaf of bread is now on the cooling rack. The no knead definitely works, still feels a bit like cheating. I have read a few accounts of people who had gluten or wheat allergies that when going to more traditional baking styles have not had problems. Non-professional opinion is that a lot of the problems with bread come from production breads high yeast content and short fermentation. Apparently Europe doesn't have near the rate of gluten problems as we have in North America.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #876
Head Chef

A couple loaves of banana bread to freeze for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #877
Master Chef

Hopefully 2 loaves of French bread in my double French/baguette pan I bought awhile ago but haven't tried yet.

I want to turn one loaf into garlic bread to go with lasagna tomorrow.

What will it be... to seed or not to seed. Is it better to open the sesame seeds or suffered the slings and arrows of a naked loaf?

Sorry lost it there.

Gotta go pick DD #1 up from work be back in a bit or I may wait till I pick up DD #2 from work (4 hours apart).
Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #878
Certified Pretend Chef

At the moment, SO is baking a chocolate cake for her baby boy who is coming for Thanksgiving with his new bride.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #879
Head Chef

A very rich baked custard.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #880
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I got off easy this year, only 20 pumpkin breads and 2 date breads. Also will make up 10 pounds of cinnamon sugar cream cheese to go with the bread.

I'll probably make some stuffing bread later today.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote