"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #931
Executive Chef

Christmas cookies! Yesterday I baked Chocolate Chip. I always start with the easiest ones. Today it is cut out sugar cookies. They are a long drawn out process, but my family loves them.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #932
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I grew up with cheese and apple pie. It wasn't until I was into adulthood that I ever heard of ice cream with it. I don't like when it melts and my crust gets wet from it. I would rather have the cheese.

I think it all depends on what you grew up with. We always had pie alone...nothing on it.

I also grew up eating pancakes as a dinner item. I never heard of pancakes for breakfast until I was an adult. When the cupboard was bare, my mother would make a big batch of pancakes. They were cheap and they filled us up.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #933
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

I think it all depends on what you grew up with. We always had pie alone...nothing on it.

I also grew up eating pancakes as a dinner item. I never heard of pancakes for breakfast until I was an adult. When the cupboard was bare, my mother would make a big batch of pancakes. They were cheap and they filled us up.
That's true of anything. I like to be an adventurous eater, though, and try things I didn't grow up with. Cooking would not be as enjoyable to me if I ate and made the same foods all the time.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #934
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's true of anything. I like to be an adventurous eater, though, and try things I didn't grow up with. Cooking would not be as enjoyable to me if I ate and made the same foods all the time.

I am a very adventurous eater, but cheese with pie just doesn't appeal to me. I have tried it with ice cream and didn't like it because it got soggy. I can't say I will never try cheese with pie but it's not high on my list. I'm diabetic and shouldn't be eating pie, anyway!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #935
Chef Extraordinaire

First before I even think the word "bake" I have to clean up the mess from the pie and brownies. I want to make some cookies for my daughter's Christmas Eve party. And I have to put together the dry ingredients for the Christmas Wreath Cake for the challenge. But before I do any of that, I am going to get me some sleep. I have been up all night.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #936
Head Chef

I found out last Christmas that my nice neighbor needs gluten-free baked goods -- I had just handed over something baked (brownies, I think - don't recall). So this afternoon I'm trying Bob's Red Mill Hearth Whole Grain Bread Mix, wheat and dairy free. It's rising right now. This loaf will stay here - it's a tester; I bought a cinnamon-raisin mix to make for the neighbor if this one turns out well.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #937
Senior Cook

Cookies are on the menu today! Making ginger snaps, chocolate chip, and possibly jam dots (like a thumbprint cookie). I want to get them done and into the freezer so I can start to relax :crazy: my SIL and I are splitting the baking this year, she is doing tarts, muffins, and cinnamon buns, and I'm doing cookies and a pie. The pie I will make the day before we go out to the farm for Christmas.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #938
Senior Cook

Pictures! Ginger snaps done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3996762428.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	20031  
Old 12-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #939
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator