What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I baked the Swedish almond cake (Recipe - Swedish Visiting Cake) again. That is one great, easy cake.

33814-albums953-picture5424.jpg
TL--when are you going to put a slice of that on the bus for me? The bus goes between MTRL and OTT every hour...I've made a chocolate variation of that:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f123/gcc-summer-picnic-cws4322-73672.html#post1025828

It was WONDERFUL and I'm sure it would work without the special pan.

I use this recipe, msmofet. It's great and the rolls are nice and big, just like the bakery ones. I have a kaiser roll cutter, which makes them especially nice-looking. It's tricky to cut them but worth it.
Thank you katie. I used that recipe also and they didn't turn out as light and airy as I hoped. I guess I don't have your talent.

I did the "knot" by hand.

img_1248722_0_06975966ccb17cfb8416138af4e9598c.jpg

Last edited:
I use this recipe, msmofet. It's great and the rolls are nice and big, just like the bakery ones. I have a kaiser roll cutter, which makes them especially nice-looking. It's tricky to cut them but worth it.
Nice! That is basically the recipe I use, except I don't have a stamp. I roll the dough into a circle and then gather it up....hard to explain, but I take one-fifth of the circle and tuck it in to the center. Then, I flip the rolls over to rise.

Earlier this morning I had considered making a couple of loaves of plain white bread but have decided to make today a lazy day and spend my free time "playing" in my studio.

Besides, my kitties there, Sally and Tumble, will appreciate my company. We had a great day together yesterday, especially since I had the windows wide open to enjoy the fresh air of the beautiful day. Sally had a blast sitting on the windowsill of one of the big front windows. She had quite a busy channel of "birdie TV."

I don't know what I'm going to do out there because I'm stalled on a window treatment project for the living room until I get some more trim, but I'm sure I'll come up with something fun.

I made Cheez-its again. It's taken 3 times to get the time and temp. correct
in my little oven. Nice and crisp this time.
I tried Wheat Thins but without having malt syrup the taste is plain.
Have a long list to fill when I return to the old country for a vacation.

Applesauce Oatmeal Quick Bread. Actually I baked this yesterday but didn't taste it until this morning, as it was too hot to slice last night when I finished. This recipe is an oldie -- PA Baker posted it back in March '07, and Alix bumped it last October with variations. It turned out well, chewy and not too sweet.

Speaking of crackers (my, how I love Cheez-Its), the local grocery's flyer this week got my attention with an ad for Nabisco Premium Rounds Saltine Crackers. New shape to me and seems sort of backwards. Better they should change their Ritz cracker shape to squares instead of vice-versa. I'm just thinking of the difference when cutting cookies or doughnuts -- the squares just seem so much more efficient than rounds which leave extra dough to gather up and re-form.

Made cookies tonight. The last few cookies are in the oven now..almost done. I'm glad because I am ready to relax!:neutral:

Made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Only had one brick of cream cheese so added in a spreadable honey nut, and I think it turned out pretty good.:mrgreen:

Sounds great, GG. I'm waiting for the pesto-wholewheat bread to finish rising. I will turn it into garlic bread to go with the vegetarian lasagne I'm making (this has been an all-day project). The "noodle" dough is resting right now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom