What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Only had one brick of cream cheese so added in a spreadable honey nut, and I think it turned out pretty good.:mrgreen:

That sounds wonderful...I love carrot cake with the cream cheese icing :yum:

Sounds great, GG. I'm waiting for the pesto-wholewheat bread to finish rising. I will turn it into garlic bread to go with the vegetarian lasagne I'm making (this has been an all-day project). The "noodle" dough is resting right now.
Bread's out of the oven:

Attachments

• pesto_bread 014.jpg
    pesto_bread 014.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 146
Gee that looks good CWS :chef:
Thanks, Kylie. It was really good. I am going to dry the bit that didn't walk out the door and make bread crumbs (or maybe croutons). The pesto added to the dough changed it from just plain ol' bread into something a bit special (I baked it with a pan of water in the oven and sprayed the walls, at a high temp--425 until the internal temp of the bread was 195). An egg yolk wash on top.

I made a chocolate cake this afternoon, I got the recipe from one of my Betty Crocker cookbooks and then made the frosting recipe from the back of the Hershey's cocoa box. Delicious.

It's a crappy, gloomy, cold, windy day here today which, for me, is just prime for filling the house with the aroma of yummy things baking.

I'm beginning with biscuits and am going to experiment with preparing the dough, cutting the biscuits and putting the cut biscuits on a parchment-lined tray into the freezer. I want to see if I can replicate the frozen biscuits found in our market.

Then, I'm going to make a recipe of Glenn's favorite yeasty cornmeal pan rolls, some of which will make their way into the freezer for another time. But, of course, he'll have to sample some hot from the oven. Just for quality control purposes you know.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If I'm still in the "mode" I'll make some baguettes for the freezer.

It's a crappy, gloomy, cold, windy day here today which, for me, is just prime for filling the house with the aroma of yummy things baking.

I'm beginning with biscuits and am going to experiment with preparing the dough, cutting the biscuits and putting the cut biscuits on a parchment-lined tray into the freezer. I want to see if I can replicate the frozen biscuits found in our market.

Then, I'm going to make a recipe of Glenn's favorite yeasty cornmeal pan rolls, some of which will make their way into the freezer for another time. But, of course, he'll have to sample some hot from the oven. Just for quality control purposes you know.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If I'm still in the "mode" I'll make some baguettes for the freezer.
I caught a segment on the P. Allen Smith garden show where you use 1/4 butter 3/4 margarine and fold and roll the dough 3x, cut, freeze and then you pop the biscuits in a muffin tin to bake from frozen. I'm thinking of giving the recipe a go this weekend (these are a baking powder and milk biscuit). The chef said the fold and roll technique was a french technique to get flaky biscuits. Reminded me of making puff pastry or croissants.

Back
Top Bottom