What are you baking today? | 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm baking sweet potato chips for snacking. I've just about abandoned baking bread and sweet things because they're really not that good for me - love 'em too much. Can't even trust myself by freezing leftovers because I know where they are. :(:pig:

I'd like to try using one of the "fancy" blades on my benriner on these sweet potatoes. Duh. Can't figure it out (pity me). I Googled it and among the unhelpful sites listed, one said "why don't they just sell Benriner boxes smeared with blood?". Well, I haven't cut myself yet (knock on wood), but I'm not real adventurous. I'd like to see a video of some smarter person than I taking out the flat blade (which I did manage to do) and fitting the slicer with the shredding blade that came in the box. Any helpers out there? (Need a pitiful-looking smilie.)

I'm baking sweet potato chips for snacking. I've just about abandoned baking bread and sweet things because they're really not that good for me - love 'em too much. Can't even trust myself by freezing leftovers because I know where they are. :(:pig:

You are not alone!

I didn't even freeze a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies this year! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When I read the pantry thread I started thinking about tossing all of my baking ingredients because they are getting stale!

Now about those chips are they sweet or savory?

I could see them dusted with cinnamon and nutmeg or with garlic powder and cayenne!

Please share the results!

You are not alone!

I didn't even freeze a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies this year! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When I read the pantry thread I started thinking about tossing all of my baking ingredients because they are getting stale!

Now about those chips are they sweet or savory?

I could see them dusted with cinnamon and nutmeg or with garlic powder and cayenne!

Please share the results!

Wow, AB! No cookies at all in the freezer? It's pity party time. I bought some of those Danish sugar cookies around Christmas time because I needed a new tin (yeah, sure). I absolutely must put what's left of them at least in the freezer, if not someplace else, like the safe deposit box at the bank.

Oh, yes, the s.p. chips. Actually, I don't put anything on them - just dry them out au naturel. I like them a lot that way when they're nice and crisp. Oh, heck. I like them even when they're leathery little chews.

While the oven was hot I baked a canfull of the Wolfe Pit roasted chickpeas - found the recipe here on DC a couple of days ago or so. Now those have seasonings, lots of powdered stuff - onion, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, mustard, s&p w/EVOO to make them stick. I think that's all. Haven't tried them yet, but they smelled great in the oven.

I do not like rhubarb pie...and I know I'll have to make at least two while I'm in MN. I do, however, like rhubarb as an ingredient in savory dishes. And the rhubarb - strawberry combo, I think that is Canadian. I also do not like that combination (nor does my brother, who does, however, love rhubarb pie).

I do not like rhubarb pie...and I know I'll have to make at least two while I'm in MN. I do, however, like rhubarb as an ingredient in savory dishes. And the rhubarb - strawberry combo, I think that is Canadian. I also do not like that combination (nor does my brother, who does, however, love rhubarb pie).

I am not a big fan of the strawberry rhubarb combination either. I think in my case it is because we lived in a climate where they were never available fresh at the same time. We did have some form of rhubarb on the table everyday in the spring rhubarb pie, crisp, upside down cake and a sauce similar to apple sauce. My Grandmother called it pie timber. It was the first fresh item after a long winter. We never suffered though, after the apples ran out and before the rhubarb popped up, we always had custard pies! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I made this morning a healthy slice -- NOT.....it was called a health slice . It had oats, brown sugar, melted butter, a mixture of nuts and seeds, honey, flour and choc chips. It tasted great though.

I'm firing up the bread machine to make a batch of pita bread. We have a 4-day weekend here. That means, we are on the lowest TOU rate for electricity. Thanks to the Liberal government, I now think of weekends and holidays as opportunities to use the oven, etc. at TOU lowest rates.

Wow, AB! No cookies at all in the freezer? It's pity party time. I bought some of those Danish sugar cookies around Christmas time because I needed a new tin (yeah, sure). I absolutely must put what's left of them at least in the freezer, if not someplace else, like the safe deposit box at the bank.

Oh, yes, the s.p. chips. Actually, I don't put anything on them - just dry them out au naturel. I like them a lot that way when they're nice and crisp. Oh, heck. I like them even when they're leathery little chews.

While the oven was hot I baked a canfull of the Wolfe Pit roasted chickpeas - found the recipe here on DC a couple of days ago or so. Now those have seasonings, lots of powdered stuff - onion, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, mustard, s&p w/EVOO to make them stick. I think that's all. Haven't tried them yet, but they smelled great in the oven.
Thanks for reminding me to soak the chick peas. I also want to try that recipe.

This morning I prepared 3 trays of lasagne to put in the freezer, then I prepared a light lunch for my husband and I....belgian endives wrapped in thin prosciutto and topped with béchamel sauce and parmesan. Before I put the sauce on top I went to put the lasagne in the freezer . When I came back into the kitchen, my daughters little dog ( a min pin ) had climbed up on the table and helped herself to one of the rolls. Needless to say she didn't get anything else to eat.

This morning I prepared 3 trays of lasagne to put in the freezer, then I prepared a light lunch for my husband and I....belgian endives wrapped in thin prosciutto and topped with béchamel sauce and parmesan. Before I put the sauce on top I went to put the lasagne in the freezer . When I came back into the kitchen, my daughters little dog ( a min pin ) had climbed up on the table and helped herself to one of the rolls. Needless to say she didn't get anything else to eat.

That sounds wonderful!

I am thinking the same process could be used with a variety of green vegetables and some sliced ham from the local Deli!.

Thanks for the idea!

B :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom